Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current Travel Rules to UK Over & Back

• 28-07-2021 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi Folks can somebody with recent travel experience clarify the following for me -

I'm traveling to England for the Bank Holiday Weekend with Ryanair.

Do Ryanair accept paper boarding passes both ways still?

Do they accept paper proof of vaccine not on their App?

I presume, once I have a vaccination cert (Paper) there's no need to to have any test results to get back home.

Passenger locator forms, none needed for England, but email receipt of completed one to return needed. Can this be a paper receipt?

Thank you in advance, I just want no nonsense plain answers, I can't get them on the relevant sites and am quite desperate, tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

Well anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

I can only speak for the UK->Ireland, but I needed passenger locator form and either one of negative PCR or my proof of vaccination (I was vaccinated by NHS) to board.

Mine was all digital but there appeared to be other passengers who's documentation was paper based.

I didn't travel to worried about being stranded, but I'm due to go in the next few weeks again and this time I will definitely go.

Any recent relevant experiences?

Any updates at all?

No checks in Dublin on way out but travel locator form and vaccination cert scrutinised in Dublin on return. Covid cert checked in London when boarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have tickets to a concert in September over in Birmingham

Thankfully have my EU green cert and really hoping placed will accept that as prove of covid immunity.

I don’t know but would assume so. A friend flew over last week and never uses paper, everything is on her phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭patscott27

When they are checking the covid cert at Dublin Airport does it have to be printed out. I know it doesn't for travel to UK. Just if I have to travel to anywhere else. It is on HSE app is that OK. Locator form in London boarding. Is the email OK or do I need to print that out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Heading Dublin to London this weekend. I have my vaccination papers. Wondering how to find out if I need to take a PCR test or not. When filling in the passenger locator form to enter UK, it appears I need proof of a negative PCR test. Could anyone with experience confirm? I'm fully vaccinated, yet seem to be asked to have a negative PCR.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

To travel to the UK you do not need to do or provide anything.. you are free to travel in. Returning back home to Dublin will require either proof of double vaccination or Negative PCR test and Passenger Locator form filled in.

Thank you very much!

Trip went well and as you stated; entering UK nothing required, coming back needed receipt for Passenger Locator Form + proof of Vaccination. Cheers

I was in England last weekend, flying back on Monday Night. Before I went I signed up to the Ryanair App and my boarding passes and Covid Vax Cert were put on it, I transferred them from my Ryanair account on my laptop easy enough to the App. I also had paper versions of both passes and the Vax Cert.

In Dublin Airport I used the paper version of my outgoing boarding pass, no bother and I had to show my passport, as expected nothing else was asked of me going to England!

On the way back, my flight landed in Dublin 2 hours late and after midnight so that may have influenced the direction of what happened.

I completed my passenger location form in England on the Saturday on my phone and emailed it to the reception of where I was staying, they seemed familiar with the process and they printed the receipt no bother for me!

I spoke to a Ryanair Rep on the way out and she said that technically on a short trip within the 72 hour window, you could actually fill it out in Ireland!

At the Airport, there was an element of chaos because the Aer Lingus Flight to Dublin was also delayed, but some genius decided it might be brilliant to have their passengers leave from the gate right next to The Ryanair one and just before our delayed flight was to take off!

The Aer Lingus Passengers were lucky because they were not subsequently delayed for another hour because unlike us, they could get off the stand, whereas due to shortage of staff and apparently evacuation from Afghanistan Flights, we were stuck!

At The English Airport, we were told by Ryanair Crew to make sure we had the passenger Location Form completed or we would face a €475 fine in Dublin.

I produced my paper returning boarding pass and passport to be scanned, I had the other info to hand also in paper form.

Guess what? Neither the Covid Vax Cert or passenger Location Form was asked for at the English Airport!

No other passenger was asked for those documents either.

At Immigration control in Dublin, The Guard Scanned my passport, now he could see I had paper versions of the 2 forms with me ready to show, but he did not ask and just welcomed my back!

Other people were asked where had they come from, but I didn't notice anybody being asked for the 2 forms,

It was after midnight though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi folks

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I cannot find a definitive answer elsewhere. Is it necessary for Irish citizens to provide proof of COVID vaccination when travelling to England? Also on the return journey back to Ireland is it necessary to provide proof of COVID vaccination? The reason I ask is because I have a child who is petrified of needles and is refusing to get the vaccine for this reason.....

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

From - COVID-19 restrictions in Ireland (citizensinformation.ie)

"From 6 March 2022, all travel restrictions are removed for arrivals to Ireland. You no longer need to complete a passenger locator form. You also no longer need proof of vaccination or recovery, or a COVID-19 test.

Other countries still have restrictions, and you should check what they are before travelling abroad."

You don't need anything to enter the UK from Ireland either.

Thanks for that shillyshilly. The key point is the last sentence in your post: "You don't need anything to enter the UK from Ireland either".

The dfa website states the following:

"Travel from Ireland to Britain

Under existing British regulations, passengers arriving into Great Britain from Ireland, are not required to complete a passenger locator form, self-isolate, or undergo testing, if they have not been outside of the Common Travel Area in the previous 10 days. The Common Travel Area includes Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands."

This statement looks positive, but it does not explicitly state that you don't need to produce proof of vaccination. Can anyone shed more light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

The passenger locator form is where you declare your vaccination status entering the UK... i.e. don't have to fill it out, means they won't check...

If it's piece of mind you're looking for, I live in the UK and the checks for people coming in from Ireland are gone nearly a year.... you don't get asked anything.

edit: that's boat and air... myself and numerous family members over numerous trips the last year

edit 2:

actual UK advice from : Travel to England from another country during coronavirus (COVID-19) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Ireland, the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man

If you’re travelling to England from within the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, you do not need to:

• complete a passenger locator form
    • take any COVID-19 tests
    • quarantine on arrival in England

This only applies if you have not been outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man in the 10 days before the day you arrive in England. If you have, you must follow the international travel rules in the place where you arrive.

edit 3: People always wonder why the asymmetry...

When the vaccination rollout ramped up and Ireland/UK were on similar trajectories, the UK government saw no point in checking people coming from ROI, when they had similar rates of vaccinated people, also people could just travel from NI and not get checked...

Irish government didn't see it this way, along with the HSE not being able to handle any surges due to free movement, where the NHS could, hence Ireland keeping restrictions in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Do it regularly. Nothing required at all Ireland to UK

many thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement