Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rust repair

• 28-07-2021 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭

Is the going rate to fix this 300-400? Thats the only price ive managed to get

Or if anyone has any recommendations or places to ask?

Thanks

P.S for some strange reason pictures from my google pixel like to randomly upload side-wards so sorry about wrong way

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Where in the car is that and what are they doing for €300-€400?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

".....just as a guide the cost would be in the region of €300-€400 we can also put a stone chip protection foil over the repaired area to stop this happening again."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Like every rust issue it depends.

If that area is rubbed down properly and all signs of rust are removed, and the metal underneath is solid, then a rust remedy treatment followed by paint etc. will be fine.

If however there's a hole, or the metal is thin or weak, then it needs to be cut out and fresh metal put in it's place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Whocare

Only a mad man would fix that tiny bit of rust a bit halford paint be good enough for old focus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Was that a seatbelt caught in door issue again.

• Advertisement

Not when I've owned it for the last two years.

I thought it was stone damage, maybe not

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm seeing bubbling in the paint around the obvious rusty bits. That means the rust has come from the back gassing off, so not solid metal anymore. An old style bodge would be to cut it out and fibreglass in the hole and paint over it. That won't last though. Rust is car cancer, it needs to be all cut out or it will spread, so cut out and weld will, if done right, but that gets expensive.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭slipperyox

whats the car worth?

3.5 I checked carzone and then an post told me getting a quote

I've put about 1.5 into it with radio and unfortunately stuff that goes on ten year old cars (including some issue on binecal)

Someone said there's a place that did similar for 150 so going next week

Secondhand market isn't there and if I can pay not silly money to keep a car I know it's right I think I will

Car going in next week

Surface rust and said a small amount in wheel arch

E150

Thanks for the replies and information

• Advertisement

Car went in yesterday and seen a small amount starting on other side

So 200 to get both sides and a perfect job

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭on_the_roots

Fair enough, can we see some pictures of it after the job done?

Actually said I should put up pictures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I take it they didn't blend the paint for that ?

Silver paint is a hooer for showing different colours between panels if you only do one.

I don't get you?

From what i can see the damage is fixed and doesn't look like two different colours (pictures probably don't do it justice)

Post edited by jeffk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Blend as in blend the fresh paint they put on that section with the doors etc.

It might not be very visible now but over time. When you look at the car from a few steps back the colours won't be the same

I'm not sure what he did or didn't do, body place that was recommended and does insurance work so must be ok

If it does happen then it's 11 years old so bound to happen anyway and I'd rather that then rust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Looks good, and reasonable cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aokay

Where did you get it done if you don't mind me asking? My car failed nct yesterday because of corrosion on the door sill. Pictures attached. Just trying to find somewhere that can fix it for cheap. I just want a pass as the car is pretty old as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭mk7r

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Those photos make the car look like it was cut in half and welded together, aka a cut and shut.

Rust going up vertically along what appears to be a seam that's badly finished or painted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Or it has been repaired before and not properly done at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aokay

Yeah it was a shoddy job done by the previous owner. I didn't notice it when I bought the car originally 2 years ago for a grand and over time it's just gotten worse. I didn't know just how bad it was till I took those photos yesterday. At this point is it even worth repairing? I'm just looking at getting it past the nct but if it's too far gone I'm not so sure I'll bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Depends on how far that problem goes into the body of the car TBH. There could be issues with the floor pan at this stage but hard to tell without getting in there. Last rust repairs I attempted to get done on a sill were quoted at 400 per side (including paint) from a good body shop but that was 3 years ago and were only an opening cost estimate. Guy said he would have a better idea once the area was opened up and the cost could rocket from there to nearly a grand depending on what was found.

I'm not trying to scare you with those prices, just giving you a ballpark from my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Normally with silver the problem you get when a blow in repair is carried out rather than a complete respray of the panel is a dark edge where the blow in starts and ends, it can be avoided with the right technique. As for blending it in to the other panels, a good bodyshop will colour match to the paint on the car to get the right variant, we use a colour match camera which gives a match adjusted to the existing paint on the car.

I would have no concern with going edge to edge on that sort of repair, the area is small enough and there are enough differences in angles to loose any marginal mismatch which if there is one the vast majority of people will not see, anyone who knows me will know that I'm a picky fecker.

Looks like a decent job to me from the pictures.

Advertisement