Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi "Compute Module 4" - anyone recommend where to buy Pi stuff nowadays?

Options
  • 28-07-2021 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

it's been a few years since I touched a Pi

I have a project in my head to build my own "Network Sensor" (kinda homebrew Intrusion Detection System / SIEM device you could place inside your firewall to monitor your security issues) there is some support for the project online (e.g. see the guys over at Active Countermeasures) - it's almost a covert device....super small and self contained, plug into your managed switch....

Usually they're made on standard best spec Pi 4 but then I spotted this completely new "Compute Module" form factor which seems to be much more suitable for my purposes (its a "Compute Module" daughterboard which can be got with up to 8GB which sandwiches onto a very full feature all in one i/o board (can even take a PCIe card!!) all very neat and tidy)

e.g. https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/compute-module-4-io-board/

I'm wondering if anybody has experience of this latest form factor and also if so where are you buying them from?

in fact generally where's the best place to buy R Pi stuff nowadays? if you're not under time pressures? is the likes of Ali Express still workable?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well let me start by saying I don't like in Ireland anymore...

If the prices are reasonable and they have the stuff on stock I go with digikey. The main reasons are that shipping is free over about 50 Euro, stuff arrives in two or three days via UPS and most importantly they are properly set up in most European countries to handle the VAT/Import Duties etc... Whatever is on the bottom line of the invoice is all you pay and noting ever gets held up in customs etc... That has been my experience in the last 12 months or so. In a way it is ridiculous, some of the stuff I buy is made in the UK, but it is cheaper for me to buy it via the US.

I have mixed experiences with AliExpress, somethings it's fine in terms of quality and cost provided you don't mind the wait. Other times I realise I would have been better off paying a little more and getting better quality locally, at least it is easy toss it back and get a replacement quickly, if it does not work.

Advertisement