Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contactless payment needed

Options
  • 28-07-2021 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

Still awaiting a replacement debit card from EBS in post. Unexpected bill is due so I go to the Three Store in Limerick and they tell me I need to pay by card. I went and bought it in SuperValu instead.

Not really a consumer issue for me as I found it hilarious the fact that a product designed for people who haven’t got a debit/credit card requires a debit/credit card to purchase in the first place.

take note those who need a prepaid card

Comments

I'm a bit confused by the post. Are you saying that you bought a top-up voucher for a 3 Prepay phone in SuperValu?

It would be worth getting a second account with a bank like N26 or Revoult so that you have a spare card in the event of problems. It's never a good idea to rely on a single debit card as your sole means of payment, particularly with the way society is moving very rapidly towards being quite cashless since COVID kicked off.

I think even with the reassessment of contact risk with cash, you are seeing a lot of businesses realising that using contactless payments is far more convenient - less cash handling, big improvements in security, very few issues with errors like giving wrong change / miscounting notes, fewer issues with problems like forged notes etc.

There was a resistance to use cards in some smaller businesses, which was largely based on old bad experiences when the banks had complete control of the market for merchants and charged a fortune. With a bit of shopping around, it's now cheap and effective.

So, all in all, I don't think we're going to see a rapid switch back to lots of cash anytime soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Started using N26 as a backup debit card after I had awful issues with Ulster before a trip abroad, recently I moved to N26 proper and one of the benefits is they allow you to have 2x cards for the one current account. Handy to have the backup!

Advertisement