Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private pensions in Ireland, ABC

• 28-07-2021 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello there, I moved back to Ireland last year from the US and am only now thinking about getting to set up a private pension for myself. Can anyone advise me on where to start - companies, issues to think about, etc? Total beginner from the Irish standpoint and not particularly good at this whole thing in any country tbh.

All I know is what an accountant acquaintance told me, which is that it's worth me investing any part of my earnings that falls into the 40% tax bracket in a pension, as worst case scenario, even if I pay that same tax rate at retirement I am entitled to withdraw 25% of the pot tax-free. Does that sound right?

Early 50s, self-employed, just tipped into 40% tax bracket last year, but earnings quite a bit higher this year.

I have a US private pension pot btw, all in cash (because I'm a complete eejit).

Thanks ever so much for any insight.

Advertisement