Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year or Work for the year

Options
  • 27-07-2021 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there. My son got his first summer job this year working with my brother in the steel fabrication business. He is only 15 but is academically bright. This year due to Covid he missed doing his Junior Cert and next year is transition year or a Doss year as he calls it. I was talking to my brother about this and he said that if he wants he can work with him for the year where he will teach him to weld and if he wants he can go to school for a day a week or if not he can work the five days. When I think about it I think that he would be far better off doing this and then going back to school in fifth year to do his leaving cert (which is a must). I mean what happens in transition year in my view is not very beneficial as half them are looking for work experience where they are either answering a phone or sweeping a floor. At least this way he will learn about a work environment and pick up a skill whilst doing it. I’d love to hear people’s opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 onlinemathsgr

Great idea, get him to go to school 3 days a week and work 2, what i mean by that is more time in school, as if its reversed it might be harder to get him back inot 5th year..

Also make sure the school is aware so he doesnt exceed the number of absent days or else Tusla will be involved.

Transition year is known as the doss year but honestly its what you make of it. I did loads of things during my Transition year. It's a great opportunity to try different things.

I did:

• Work experience in Shannon Aerospace and The irish Times
    • Got a certificate in keyboard skills and First Aid
    • Went surfing for a week in Mayo(in February, I've never been so cold in my life)
    • Got an A in Economics for a project i did about the Euro. First A in my life.
    • Took part in a fashion Show(as a model!)
    • Helped build the stage and sets for the Transition year play

I agree with onlinemathsgr, I'd recommend a hybrid approach, 3 days in school, 2 days working. There may be some weeks when nothing is happening and he can work for the week, but there might be weeks when stuff is happening, so hopefully your brother will be flexible.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm not clear, did he do the junior cert or not? Is that not mandatory? If he did miss it, why so, didn't other children around the country do it?

I would be cautious that taking a 15/16 year old out of the school environment to the degree suggested at this point in their education would severely impact their opportunity to get a leaving cert which is a foundation for future education or opportunity should they wish to use it. I think if they get in to a work environment, and earn a few quid, the idea of going back in to a class room will not appeal to them. Actually, id they don't have a junior cert, they probably wouldn't be even able to register for an apprenticeship.

Do they 'have to' do transition year? Is it not an option rather than mandatory? Viewing something as a doss year at that age is something they could well regret in future years and while I understand young people might see it like this, if they are not of a mindset to take advantage of the type of year it is, personally I wouldn't think they should do it. It is an opportunity to gain some insight in to different career types and many companies at least have some structure around people who come in and it isn't just a case of sweeping the floor etc.

Could he do transition year and for the placement part go work with your brother? (although I would suggest experience of a different environment would be better long run).

Think I may have misinterpreted some elements of the situation, if my post is misleading because of this, let me know and I will edit it.

I assumed the OP meant he didn't do the Junior cert exam, but got a predicted grade. I thought they had gone that route to allow for space in the exam halls for Leaving students to sit a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'd do neither, tbh. It could prove very difficult to get him back to school next year once he gets a taste of having a few bob and the different dynamic of a work environment versus a school one.

If one or both of you are worried about transition year being a doss year, then why not send him straight into 5th year? I've never really seen the point of transition year, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Our school policy for students who dont do TY but take a year out is they are no longer students and have to reapply for admission to 5th year and take a chance they may not get back in. One of our kids had an offer to work in France for 3 months during TY but the school wouldnt allow it.

Working for 4 days a week may not fit into the TY timetable. He might be better off doing all his work experience blocks with your brother, the chances of some companies taking in TY students this year has to be reduced by covid.

One of the benefits of TY, our school offered a Japanese class, one of ours took it up in 5th year and it seems like he in on track to get a very high grade if his marks keep up. Its nowhere near the same level as French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

I would be hesitant at letting a 15 year old spend day in day out with adults, spending time with his peers is important. The reality is when he finishes his leaving cert he probably wont have the same job for life so it might be a better option to ensure he has as wide a focus on possible careers at a young age - TY should help this. TY is not a doss year any more is most schools. The students generally get involved in community projects, complete short courses and explore possible work pathways - lots of stakeholders have in school events in TY to encourage them to consider different options- college, apprenticeships etc.

On an aside how are they getting insurance for a minor to be on the premises with welding machinery not to mind operating it! it is a nightmare to get insurance for younger apprenticeships! His work hours are going to be restricted and the employer will have a lot of extra legal obligations to having a minor on site.

Advertisement