Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected illegal burning

Options
  • 26-07-2021 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Neighbor across the road has been producing this smoke from his chimney every evening for about 30 /45 mins for the past few months. You cant really tell from the video but the smoke is yellow/dark brown and smells rotten.

My first thought was illegal burning (rubbish/smokey coal )based on the smell and the fact I haven't seen him put out his recycling bin all year.

My first action was a friendly letter in the mailbox asking him to stop as I have sever ashtma and it stinks up my whole home...Nothing changed.

I made a complaint to the National Environmental Complaints section and they sent out someone from the council .

I spoke to the council officer over the phone and he said a video like this cant prove illegal burning and that is is perfectly legal to burn paper and cardboard all night if they so wish( he thinks this may be the issue but I doubt it).

I'm at my wits end with this ****. Every evening I have to smell this **** and it ruins what little summer weather we have. Not to mention I live in an urban area with a smokey coal ban.

Is there anything more I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It takes a while to burn a corpse in a standard household fireplace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Maybe he’s electing a lot of Popes?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 somethingbleh

Some more pics of the smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Id be inclined to think that may not be plastic being burned, maybe smokey coal? I dont think burning plastic produces that much smoke, it has a distinctive sickly smell (I can smell plastics being burned near my house but cant identify where it's coming from as there isnt a visible smoke plume, from nearby chimneys, and I dont think one is produced).

That could very well be smokey coal and maybe other rubbish? What you will find is, the council dont give flying fuc*, cant do anything or wont, unless its an easy target and even then they probably wouldn't do anything. I suppose at least the EPA (I think thats who the national environmental complaints are located with?) sent them out, but councils are useless.

My suggestion, and Im not kidding, is look to airtightness of your own home, cost a hefty sum, and get a MVHR with filtration.

Maybe with asthma you may be able to get a grant or assistance from a council/SEAI scheme for upgrades. I will say, non of which will be useful unless they are done right. Does your home have drylining? if not all the better for getting an airtightness layer fitted and dry line over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

His missus probably doesn't let him vape inside the house so he's blowing it up the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Your only small consolation is, if they are burning all sorts of rubbish and throwing in plastic too, is that the dioxins will likely be flooding their own property and will not be good to their health, whatever dose you are getting is nothing compared to what they are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They're obviously burning rubbish if they're lighting smokey fires in the middle of a heat wave. What's worse is they're doing in light weather. There's absalutely nothing you can do about thick people, you're never going to improve their IQ, the only thing you can suggest to them is that they do it when it's windy when it only affects the general environment and not you directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Leave him off OP, you can grab the popcorn in winter when he attempts to light a normal fire and ends up with flames shooting out of the chimney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could be heating their water in their house that they have hooked up to their stove, proper arsehole setup for a built-up area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

That colour smoke coming out of a chimney in the middle of a heatwave = Meth lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Is it possible he's cooking a chicken ?

Personally, I'd suggest burning his house down and maybe a couple of the neighbours houses too , let them know you're not to be messed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

it looks like smoke from paper or cardboard. Maybe it’s a Stanley 8/Tara with a boiler and he’s trying to heat water.

Advertisement