Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times when you fell off your bike

Options
  • 26-07-2021 8:02pm

I spent most of my youth falling off my bike.

Not, MY idea of a good time but, some concussions and deep cuts were the worst I suffered thankfully.

Still though, it's the sensation of knowing you're about to fall, and then actually impacting with the ground, seeing your skin open up and waiting for the pain which you know is about to make its grand appearance - that sucks the worst.

Like the handlebars twist, the wheel buckles, some dipsh*t gets his foot caught in your spokes etc.

Then momentarily you're sailing through the air, about to be greeted by the concrete below.

It's the worst part about cycling.

Apart from that it's definitely my preferred mode of transport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When I was 11, I was playing tag on the road with my friends and I stepped out from behind a parked van just at the moment that a man was barrelling down the road on his racer. His front wheel hit me square on my right leg, and I watched - in slow motion - him flying head first over his handlebars and sprawling on the ground. I was completely unhurt, wasn’t even knocked off balance. He was furious.

As you no doubt noticed, my story is pretty similar to the movie “Unbreakable”, but I decided not to sue. Still, I assume M Night Sham-a-lam doesn’t sleep well at night. I sleep fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I borrowed my friends back from next door for 2 minutes. On my way back another fella on a back came around the corner and we smashed in to each other. I cut my toe because I had sandals on and have a permanent lump on that toe. I also had a nasty graze up the side of my torso. Wasn't wearing a helmet so was very lucky to not hit my head.

I was so embarrased that it took me ages to actually admit what happened to my parents. But it ruined my enjoyment of a birthday party I was attending that afternoon...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Done that lots of times racing MTB in my younger days (when it was a proper sport with no suspension etc etc😂)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There was a bunch of girls sitting on the wall of my gaff when I was about 10years old. I decided to show off by going to the shops for them on my bigger brother's big "warhorse" bike.

I came speeding down the driveway and took a hands-free sharp right turn onto the road whilst looking back at the girls and went head on into the front of a parked Cortina. I had to be pulled out of the window I embedded myself into.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The worst one was when a pedestrian stepped out about 1 metre in front of me, no time to brake or even slow my pedalling. I went flying through the air and the first part of me that hit the road was my nose. Thought I was going to bleed to death there and then.

Another one was when I had a light on the front fork that came loose, Instead of stopping to tighten it, I tried to push it back into position with my foot. Foot goes into the spokes, sliced my trainer to bits and straight over the handlebars I went. But at least on this occasion my hands took the brunt of the fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

I sold an old bike of mine for a fiver to a friend (11) who was practicing to be a mechanic.

A week later he came into school; bloodshot eyes, face looking like someone had tied a bag of cats around it for an afternoon.

Asked him what happened and he said he'd been messing with the front hub and took the bike for a spin afterwards.

He pulled a wheely and unfortunately the front wheel stayed on the ground; he hadn't tightened the nut.

He said it was slow motion, the second or two waiting for the front forks to plant in the road and for his face to lose a few layers of skin.

Knew a dude who has this insanely steep drive way to his house.

And weird thing is, his bike was new and in good shape.

He was leaving one morning and what he described was that somehow the chain came lose and sliced through his tire.

He broke both his arms.

Horrible twist of fate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have cycled into the back of a taxi at somewhere between 25 and 30km/h. that was bloody embarrassing. and a little bloody too, but not nearly as much as it might have been

also, as per the above the longest wheelie i probably ever pulled on my raleigh strika was the one where the front wheel stayed on the ground. i didn't quite make it to the patch of grass i aimed for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, not a bike crash, but when i was about two, my brother and a friend of his had turned a bike upside down to see how fast they could make the back wheel spin by spinning the pedals. i stuck my finger into the moving spokes; that finger is still a couple of mm shorter than the one on my left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

When I was about 6 I went down this giant hill we had in the next housing estate over from mine. First time going down a hill like that and i picked up so much speed I got scared and hit the brakes. Unfotunately I hit the front ones and when flying off the bike and grazed my entire thigh.

My older sister freaked out and brought me to my mates house so my parents wouldnt go crazy. I remember it so clearly. To this day I don't think my dad found out :D  

• Advertisement
Advertisement