Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who needs to register for commercial council rates?

Options
  • 26-07-2021 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I occasionally have small jobs which require me to work from home.

Should my workshop which also serves my store and as a laundry room be liable for commercial rates?

Who is exempt from paying commercial rates?

If I had a website design business and was using my home to run it, or was making arts and crafts and selling it would that be liable?

I'm hearing from someone is that the difference is if you interfere with your neighbours or not.

I'm hoping I get a good idea of where I stand on the issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Oh, the negative ninny brigade are getting to you.

You have absolutely nothing whatsoever to be concerned about. Zilch, nadda, nothing.

Hundreds of thousands of people work from home. Many run small businesses.

It's when the business is the primary use or when it is a business that is open to the public that it can require change of planning to commercial use which in turn attracts rates.

But a small business person that uses a shed or garage and a spare room has absolutely nothing to be concerned about

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

It is a guy who I spoke to who was using his bench saw and cutting outside.

I guess he was making too much noise and someone reported him.

Some of my power tools can be quite noisy and the last thing I want is to have to move my workshop from the back of my house.

I did a search online and found that if you have signage outside and customers calling that will leave you liable for rates.

It also might affect the sale of the house if you choose to see it further down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The "if you have signage outside" is like the "garda must have the hat on" phrase. Its meaningless. Many accountants will have a sign outside and would not be liable for rates. I also see people who make furniture part-time with signs on their gates.

Its always the nature of the business that would require a planning change. - So an accountant that has an open door policy that people can walk in off the street or a furniture maker with a showroom would most likely need planning if someone made a complaint.

But doing something in a workroom / shed / garage that is not causing disturbance, will not require planning. Also, if you can show that you are doing it for over 6 years, enforcement action cannot be taken

Advertisement