Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flower boxes advice/help

• 24-07-2021 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So I managed to get a few pallets in work, so decided to try my hand at making a raised flower bed...

So I have a few questions?

1- what should I line the box with

2- should I put a base on it or leave it

Attached are a couple of pictures of the box...it doesn't look very pretty I agree, but I will be painting it with some paint I used to paint the timber shed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Damp proof membrane (DPC) should do the trick. You will be watering so need to protect the timber. Suggest you put a bottom in it with timber. Doesnt have to be too deep but I'll leave that to the garden experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it is not going to have legs it does not need a bottom. If it is to stand on soil then line with plastic that covers the inside walls and turns into the bottom by a few inches.

If it is to stand on concrete then you will need a gap between the box and the ground. Concrete will not provide drainage and the box will turn into a sump. In order to create drainage the box will have to be lifted off the ground by an inch or two, and a base put in. The base will need to have holes in it. Easiest way would be to space out the slats a bit, line with polythene then cut several slits in it to correspond with the gaps in the slats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

For Boxes sitting in grass/soil:

Just cover the walls of the boxes internally and leave a bit extra to sit on the grass/soil, but no need to cover the grass/soil completely at the bottom...is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Would something like Classi Seal or even a tanking slurry be a better option than DPC here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, the main reason for the little flap at the bottom is so that the soil doesn't leak out of the bottom of the box and lift it. If you are putting it on grass I would suggest a few layers of cardboard to discourage weeds, it will rot away fairly quickly so no problems with drainage.

On the tanking paint, I'd be doubtful about that - a bit of plastic/polythene is a lot easier and less likely to contaminate the soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Line sides and a few inches into the base with damp proof or plastic. I really wouldn't paint them as it will be hard to keep it looking good. Grow a few plants which will droop over the sides, eg, aubretia for all year round interest and some summer bedding.

They look wonderful as they are, and easier to plant without clashing with paint colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Cheers guys...

Just one last question...125 or 300 micron DPM?

Will it make a difference for what I'm using it for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Just use a heavy duty plastic bag cut to size and maybe use duct tape to join and temporarily hold it together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

They look great.

Use soil or compost/ soil mix to fill them so they won't dry out as easy.

The soil and compost bags are ideal liners.

Advertisement