Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague resigned. I’ve been asked to take over his sales territory but no pay increase

Options
  • 24-07-2021 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

My colleague jacked last week following a massive fight with our managing director. The MD called me in yesterday & said ‘You are taking over Joe Bloggs territory as of Monday”. It will mean a huge increase in my workload - probably double what I’m now doing - with little enough commission until I become familiar with the area & the customers. MD laughed at me when I asked for a salary increase. Can I refuse? What are my rights?

Comments

Resign, take Customers with you from two sales territories instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would quickly get familiar with the new area & the customers and make money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'MD laughed at me'.

i wonder why your colleague and he might not have gotten on with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

MD still has to use a toilet in a crouched position.

he sounds like an ass… anyhoo… I would take the information, customers, territory details and start looking for a new job.

knowledge is power and your “MD” sounds like someone who is on the slide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Put the ball back in his court. Continue to work, doing the same number of calls as before. If your commission or bonus would be impacted negatively by taking on new territory, raise a formal grievance, and take it to the WRC if you need to.

And start looking for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Just say no? Are you a mug or what

• Registered Users Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Do your 40 hour week and whatever you can do you do.If you know the previous rep well ask him for the best customers in the new area( you should be able to access them from the sales data anyway). Call to them do there orders and forget about the crumbs let them fall on the floor.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lol. You haven't worked in field sales.( Maybe you have but not in a sector where orders are hard fought and relations built over years).

If it is that easy, it's not sales. Not when she has her own day to day Territory to manage.

You need to set his expectations, if you cherry pick the reliables, Which you should, sales in the that Territory will still drop quite a bit. Your own pipeline will suffer as well.

You won't have time to develop your funnel, and personal relationship will be broken. It's a given,no matter how good you are.

You need to accept that you have a position that you can only make the best of, not thrive in. That in itself would be an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Squatman

Any update OP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement