Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

delphinium problem

• 24-07-2021 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Planted delphinium in May from a 2 ltr pot and the flowers rot and curl up within a few days of bloom . The garden itself is newly laid with compost and fertilizers added to the soil and the problem seems to affecting only the 3 delphiniums .Hard to make out if this is a fungal infection or mites or any other disease affecting their growth ?

For now I have taken out the stems an flowers , but interested in knowing if I should get rid of them and remove the soli around it as well ?

Have added some pictures here ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Just keep them well watered. Cutting back was the correct thing.

Check that roots are wet and not pot bound.

Weather has been very wet, then cold, wet and now too dry so its been hard to establish plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Delphiniums don't flower for that long anyway. Your plant/photos look fine to me. Once you have an established plant and the flowers are plentiful and time-wise spaced out, you do not notice the early flowers going over. This is a new plant so you notice. My large delphinium looks a mess once it's finished, the leaves in an awful state. I cut it right back and it flowers again late August/Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northpole

Delphiniums get less and less every year ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I wouldn't agree. I have plants 15+ years old that thrive every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Delphiniums last indefinitely but need looking after. You need to divide the plant about every 5 years or at least take out the centre to allow for newer growth. They are greedy plants and should get a good mulch of well rotted compost in the autumn.

Keep them free from slugs as they emerge in spring. Give a liquid feed when you cut the first flush of blooms and you will get a second smaller show of flowers. I’ve plants which are over thirty years old and have been divided and distributed to friends numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

To follow up from my post earlier in July, here are new green leaves & buds of my delphinium flowering up again. You can also see a pic of the older part of the plant that I cut back in July. With all the wet & grey weather, it was a right state before I cut it back. Ignore the purple flowers, that’s verbena pushing its way in.

Post edited by Mr.Wemmick on

Advertisement