Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Router?

• 22-07-2021 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

One of your technicians told me the last time I had wifi connection issues (which happen quite regularly) that the solution would be to buy a good router, as the Virgin router is quite basic and has no external antenna. When the wifi is working I have no problem getting a decent signal anywhere in the house, but then when it's not I can't get a signal when I'm sitting 2m from the router, so my limited knowledge tells me that a mesh system wouldn't really fix that. Is upgrading our router the answer, and if so what should I look for in decent (but not too expensive) router. I've tried searching and reading review sites but am quite technologically challenged, so please could you use basic language if possible.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I had the same issues for a long time. Apps on the phone would switch from WiFi to data even if a few feet away from the router. Customer care tried everything over a year or so. In the end I bought a Google wi-fi mesh system and it worked perfectly with virgin. We've had no issues in the last year or so. There are cheaper mesh systems on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bigjez79

I have Virgin gigabit and I have my own Netgear router. I have just ordered a new one as it probably a little older now and I wanted one for WiFi 6. Most router will have an auto setup so it should be easy to setup or follow an online guide. It would mean connecting to your virgin hub and setting to modem mode. The connecting the hub to the new router with an ethernet cable. Cat5E but Cat6 will be better. But the new router will depend on what you want from it. Ie gaming router, signal type, number of connected devices. I didn't get a mesh system as I like to use cables where I can and I can max out my speeds better it seems. If just connected WiFi devices mesh is probably the way to go. The range on the routers these days is better than the virgin hub and it also support more devices simultaneously. So your router will do all the hard work routing/prioritising traffic and the hub will just be as a modem to talk with the cabinets/infrastructure. It will definitely be a better overall experience once you add your own.

ASUS is a good router but I stick with Netgear myself as I'm familiar with them. People say the orbi is good option but I can't confirm myself.

Worth checking your connection also from a phone as you may be on a slower band with the hub as they use the same SSID to connect to. I split mine out before and renamed them with 5G and 2G on the end as I wasn't switching when moving around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭Sarn

FYI this forum isn’t monitored by Virgin Media anymore, so you won’t be getting an official response.

Advertisement