Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People commenting on how you are dressed?

Options
  • 22-07-2021 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

I have always dressed how I like other than work restrictions. While it doesn't happen all the time people seem to think they have the right to insult me and or touch my clothes and even my face. What makes people think this is even vaguely suitable and what business is it of theirs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are they people you know or randomers? If it was a randomer and they touched my clothes I'd be inclined to push them straight to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I used to have really long crusty dreadlocks. Stopped combing and cutting my hair when I was 17 and let them flourish for 14 years.

I used to constantly get people - total strangers - coming up to me night and day touching them. I mean, you wouldn't ever just go up to some stranger on the street and tug at their hair, yet for me it was an almost daily occurrence.

Joke's on them of course, as they probably all got nits and scabies.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Anyone reading this who is wearing a bucket hat.... get some style!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You must be very beautiful.

Do people seek you here

Do people seek you there

Are your clothes loud but never square

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I often get compliments on how I dress.

I always make sure to say thank you and keep any “criticisms”, I may have, if they are dressed in bootcut jeans, converse runners or have long messy hair or a gross bushy beard, to myself.

A lot of people just don’t seem to care how they “carry” themselves.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't women get this all the time?

Yeah nice in theory but when they are much bigger than you and with 3 of their friends you aren't going to do that.

Just respond with a laugh “Who the **** are you? Gok Wan?” And walk away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Got any pictures of how you dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Anybody know where I can get a male mumu or maybe one of those Friday going to prayer jobs? I don't know how those Italian lads get away with it but skinny chinos are literally boiling my testes.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Ya see, I’m a toucher, can’t help it.. I like to touch things, if I see clothes that’s are interesting or different, I reach out and touch them. Not a persons face, I’d never touch a face for no reason … but clothes, yeah I’ve done that..

Do I work with you? What did you wear today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This honestly reads like a Donald Trump thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Make inappropriate touching great again ….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

OP

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

I once had a guy at work tell me how his woollen jacket was more expensive than my car, and it was a comment out of the blue and not even in any conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Yeah threats of violence and being assaulted is such silly delicate thing to be concerned about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

It happens. People judge others on clothing all the time. Been there enough times. As far as touching clothing, that happens too (and never ceases to amaze me).... Some overconfident extroverts feel entitled to check out (and voice their opinion on) whatever they wish... Baffles the bonkers outta me.

Because people (a lot of them anyway) always thought that that kind of behaviour was suitable... Now; in the year 2021, thanks to wokeness and PC bullcrap, they believe otherwise.. It's still considered suitable in #your case apparently..

#Cos you're probably a white bloke.. They wouldn't be at that crap with a hijab or niqab wearer.. Course I could be wrong - unlikely, but most people are wrong sometimes..

Still., if it was a bird feeling me up, I wouldn't mind too much 😁

But, on the rules of GFP (General F Principle) , have to admit that it aint right that sort of carry-on.

I like it. Makes the efforts worth it 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People fear change. People fear those who do not conform. People fear those who do not wear labels. People are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@ OP It is none of there business. If they insult you just ignore and keep walking or cycling etc. Wear what you want and be happy. Better than been boring. As long as you are happy with the clothes you wear that's all that matters.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I am a pretty conventional dresser but my OH is on at me quite a bit from time to time how my colour co-ordination is poor and “you’re not going out dressed like that?” 😜😁🤣

He he is an extremely dapper and fussy dresser. I am “smart casual” in my dress sense. Not really into fashion or labels - I am a gay man and have only 5 pairs of shoes. My OH has about 60+

If somebody has their hand on your face how do you ignore them? if you are cornered and you are aware they will become violent if you don't play along how do you ignore it? If they launch homophobic insults (I am not but they think I am) how do you ignore it?

It isn't just friendly banter or even unfriendly banter there is a threat of violence attached.

Advertisement