Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber Shed Cladding Options

• 22-07-2021 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I am building a shed 5m x 4m, with a flat roof. Only 2 walls of this will be visible from the house and will be clad with shiplap or fancier stuff depending on prices. The other 2 walls will be about 0.5m from a tall hedge and not visible from house or from neighbours. If I can find a cheap enough cladding option for the 2 invisible walls I will splash out on something fancy for the visible walls. The wall frames are already made with 3x2, treated with Larsens. There will be 50mm rockwool between the studs and a breathable membrane on outside of this frame. The shed will be used as storage and as occasional workshop.

What would be the cheapest cladding for the unseen walls that still prides good weatherproofing and a bit of soundproofing?

Could I use roughsawn 6x1? Could I use sheets of OSB3 and cover with torch-on felt? I see others here have used PVC cladding straight onto battens but imagine there is little sound proofing here? I also heard of someone using PVC soffit board (€20 for 5m x 300mm) but imagine this also would need OSB beneath it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You could use mgo board (e.g. multi-pro) instead of OSB to sheet the outside of the frame. It has good racking strength, is breathable and fire-resistant and will take paint (although that will compromise the breathability).

I used it for an oil tank enclosure about three years ago and the painted finish still looks fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

For the 2 hidden walls would you consider some type of metal cladding ? I like the grey corri which I used on a recent shed roof project. Do you really want to squeeze in and paint etc ?

Mine was a lean-to in the corner of the garden and for the 2 walls I used these composite boards in slate grey:

https://timberireland.ie/pura-cladding-20x120x4000/

Fixed to vertical timber studs - not cheap but nice colour / texture and maintenance free.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smaktardis

Corri? Is that metal corrugated sheets? If so, i suppose that wouldn't be a bad idea.

The composite boards would probably be a bit too fancy and expensive for my hidden walls.

I never heard of this stuff! Did you use this as the outer cladding/finish? Still solid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Yes - something like this: https://skyclad.ie/cladding/corrugated-sheeting/

I wasn't suggesting the composite for the hidden walls because as you say a bit too pricey 👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For now, yeah. I intend to timber clad it - it's next up on my 2018 to-do list.

It's still solid but has been chipped on one corner by a strimmer, and the lid (which is perfectly flat and completely unsupported except at the edges) has sagged from rainwater pooling. I've learned some things since then...

I wouldn't use mgo board as a final finish of anything nice, but for the back of a shed it would be fine, and also provides some protection if the fence goes on fire (the original purpose of my use was to strictly comply with oil tank regs).

Super, thanks for suggestions folks. There are so many materials out there it gets a bit confusing...

Advertisement