Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

123.ie low mileage car insurance

• 21-07-2021 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭

That time of the year and I dont do much driving so put in the usual minimal amount and got offered a quote with this thats over E100 less than renewal with BOI

Anyone else got it or got something similar and how do they find it?

I never worked out my mileage, but say well under 5K, but do you get crucified if you go overt the 5K

https://www.123.ie/low-mileage-insurance

Post edited by biko on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

100 saving to be tracked whenever the car is on, not for me.

but i wonder would this be a cheap way for a security device to track car if stolen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ended up on reddit and working it out with herself in Navan alone its 4.5K a year

Not till you sit down and work out mileage you realize how much you really do (especially Km)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Mileage history is noted on NCT certificates. 5000 km per year is a low limit. It would be interesting to see the distribution though.

I would also have concerns about sharing my location history and I wonder whether this is necessary, and thus GDPR compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭on_the_roots

This is the worst type of car insurance you may ever get. I talk from my own experience with this s**t. I mean, any tracked insurance.

I doubt someone is capable of completing 1 year with it without getting the policy cancelled by the insurer first.

If you are going to leave the car parked for 1 year with no use, then that's fine and go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why would the insurer cancel the policy?

They say clearly that they will give you notice if you come close to the 5k limit, and you move on to the next bracket ( with an increase in policy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

There's been numerous stories and examples of the tracking going haywire, leading to different insurers cancelling policies through no fault of the customer. I'd add my vote to the "avoid" when it comes to tracked insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 37 oojohoo1

Id shop around for insurance before signing up to that low milage.

Not sure what kind of quote you received from BOI, but they quoted me 1200 two days ago.

Got a quote of 420 from Aviva :) 6-15k KM's I think i stuck down.

Plus, what kind of premium will you have to pay to go into the next bracket if you have two months left on the policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 123Dublin456

I got this type. I don't like being tracked however I decided that if I didn't go over the 5k then I'd be annoyed for not opting for it. They reassured me that they will give plenty of notice if I do go over, which is possible, so I figure if its say 4 months left and I pay extra it still will be pro rata on the time left. I'm trying it for the year but may not do it again after, I don't drive at all sometimes then a little more other times but I do know last year including lockdowns was less than 5k. I don't think its in their interest to cancel anything and realistically if you do go over and they are asking for an excessive amount there would be the option of just cancelling early and going for another provider. It saves me about 60 euro so probably not worth the hassle if I needed to do that, but hopefully all will be fine and its a saving. I think there is types of people who do drive a lot less than others and if that's you then its nice to have some saving and acknowledgement of it. At the same time I think 5 k is a bit too low so I'm not sure ill keep under it. I'll jsut buy some more km in advance if I have to. I do think some of the talk about it is a bit ott its an way for people who drive less to make a saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 123Dublin456

To update this I decided to change to standard policy as didn't want to have to watch my km closer to the end and decided the year wasn't a greay comparison with lockdowns etc .Anyway very easy to switch and no extra charges, it would have probably saved me money as even if I didn't go over it would have been closer to the end that I would have added on km but honestly its a little low at 5000 for my liking. It is a good offer but it's a bit annoying having to keep an eye. One downside is also that they notify you at 90 percent but really that's only 500 km left I realised, so if you'd a big trip planned or something you could end up going over it if you couldn't get through to add on the km you need. I do think its a good offer but honestly I think 10000 km would be fairer.

The big problem with tracked insurance is not the mileage allowance, but the monitoring of your "driving style" that is used to build a score that determines "how good you are as a driver".

I had 123GO insurance. They installed a black box in my car and they take into account 3 main parameters:

• The speed you are driving at any given time on a specific point in a road;
    • How hard you accelerate, break and make turns (there is a G sensor in it);
    • The time of the day you are driving (anything between 10pm and 6am raises a red flag against you);

The way they collect these data while you are driving is a joke. Sometimes even driving slowly on a bumpy road generates huge G forces captured by the G sensor and they understand that you were driving dangerously. Then you get negative scores.

I found out that the speed monitoring is the worst one. Sudden maximum speed changes (e.g from 80km/h to 50km/h) between 2 points on a road are the biggest problem, not to mention disparities between what you see in the side plates and their database for speeds in different points of the road, you never know what is the maximum speed you can drive because the insurer does not makes it available to you.

After more or less 3 months, any max speed breaching above 20% is enough to get your insurance cancelled by the insurer, WITHOUT ANY NOTICE. If you think this is easy to manage, try to drive at 40km/h where the maximum is 30km/h unaware about the change to see what happens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The website says they only track the car's location so they can calculate distance travelled. It explicit states that no other data is captured.

Not your ornery onager

Probably you are talking about the 123 car insurance not for "young drivers".

I'm talking about the 123GO, which is for "young drivers" or when you are taking your car insurance for the 1st time. They will take not only the distance but all those others I mentioned before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement