Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree help

Options
  • 21-07-2021 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

My tree was thriving until about two weeks ago when I noticed leaves turning brown. On inspection there appears to be a mould/fungus growing where the leaves are budding?

is my tree dying? Is there anything I can do to bring it back?

There are two trees in the pic. First one has no leaves but life in the bark and second one just has started with its leaves dying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

How old is the tree. ? That fungus is actually lichen, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

They are about 3/4 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Is there any chance they could have dried out.? Not normally a problem after 3/4 years but possible with the spring summer we've just had . Also is the soil good.? I've seen trees die in new housing estates

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

im living in the country. Tree was perfect and grew about two foot since spring and all of a sudden the leaves just went brown. Have the same tree about 20 feet away and is in great health

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Very unlikely at the moment, but check the soil around the tree and see if it is over wet. It is more likely to be dry and if it is, give it a good drink, but slowly. You need to give the water time to soak in to where it is needed rather than just run off the dry surface. Either of these can cause leaves to die, but drought is more likely. The lichen is harmless and you don't need to do anything about it.

I had a tree - newly planted - start to die back this spring for no apparent reason, the only one in a large batch, so I cut back the dead ends of the branches to live wood, watered it and left it to get on with it. It is sprouting new growth. It will have been set back but should live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement