Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Process for registering an interest

• 21-07-2021 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

With the chronic shortage of supply at the moment, what is the process for these housing estates where you register an interest?

How can they pick people ahead of others, there is no way of doing it fairly? They have an asking price so bids can't be placed, just seems like a difficult position for the estate agent to be in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whatever makes you think the process needs to be fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

I'm just wondering is there any particular pattern to selecting people or any transparency whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think if you are buying a new house, you contact the builder, you might arrange to view the show house.at this point you have a solicitor,

you write a letter or email ,i would like to buy house x, price x, i presume you pay a deposit,

i presume you will need to show you have mortgage approval, eg funds that will cover the the cost of the house plus stamp duty .

my sister bought new house 12 years ago, since it was a corner house, her garden was twice the size of the other house,s gardens.

i dont know what the process is, eg can you pick a corner house,

are you just given the next house on the list,thats finished,

is it random, re what house you get

can you pick out a house from say 20 that are left on the market.

eg i,ll take the corner house no 5 on the left , eg not the one thats near the entrance to the estate .

i presume the first people to provide documents and pay a deposit get priority

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think its the agents job to show you a house, and he, she will tell you or else contact your solicitor directly ,re i need these documents to proceed with the sale of the house to the buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I bought off plans a few years ago.

The "register an interest" is usually before they're ready to go on sale. All that is is the agent compiling a list of people who said they're interested, and when the houses are about to go on sale, they'll send out a mail letting everyone know the date.

After that you've got a date where they start showing the show house. The agent at that stage will usually have a map of some kind showing where all the new houses are. If you're first in line, you can select any of the available houses on the map, hand over your booking deposit, and that one's "yours". That's all on a first come, first served basis. In my case none of that was done at the showhouse. They said if you were interested to call into the estate agent's office with the deposit the next day. I arrived fairly early the next morning, looked at the map and said "I'd like number 5 please". My name went down against it, I got a receipt saying something along the lines of "Thoie, €xxxx, Number 5 Main Street". You had to provide a solicitor's name at that stage too.

Some time after that solicitor received the contracts, she went through them, I signed them, and you forked over the "big" deposit at that stage.

73 gazillion years later they finally finished building the house, you hand over the rest of the money and move in.

• Advertisement

I assume if one was buying a family home and buying off the plans, the main concern is whether the council or funds buy prooerties in the estate?

Thanks for your informative response

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

That's opening a can of worms :)

The reality is you may never know who has bought what. Neighbours are always unfortunately "luck of the draw". Being a private purchaser doesn't necessarily make you a good neighbour. I'd give a bit more consideration to the layout of the estate, and think about how things will be in 5/10/15 years. For example, living beside "the green" might be great at the beginning, when your kids are small, and all the children in the area are under 5. But in 10 years time when all the babies in the estate are teenagers, and belting footballs around the place, would you rather be further away and not have to listen to them? Is one road in the estate going to be busier for traffic than another? Do you want morning or evening sun in your kitchen?

If you can get a map of the planned layouts, maybe give some thought in advance to what your top three/five house location preferences are, so that you're ready to select "your favourite" as soon as the opportunity comes up, rather than dithering around making a decision under pressure.

Thanks for your information Thoie

Advertisement