Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor collision involving uninsured driver

Options
  • 20-07-2021 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hello, I was rear-ended at a stop sign this morning by a motorist. He admitted liability and we exchanged insurance details. I contacted his insurance company and they informed that he is no longer covered under the policy number. When I got in touch with him he admitted that he didn’t keep up his payments and therefore is not insured. There appears to be little damage to my car from what I can tell – the rear bumper was a bit dislodged and I was more-or-less able to push it back into place. However, I got a good shunt from behind and it’s a fairly new car so I’d prefer to have it thoroughly checked through by a professional. Talking to my own insurance company the process for accidents with uninsured drivers involves MIBI (mibi.ie). MIBI have to verify that the other vehicle was not insured (which takes time) and provide this information to my insurance company. I would then claim against my insurance, and then the insurance company would seek to recover costs from MIBI to preserve my no claims bonus. I have initiated this process but the whole thing is cumbersome and appears to take considerable time.

I think there’s a fair likelihood that there is very little damage to the car and possibly it could be sorted for a couple of hundred euro. I think the uninsured driver would be happy to cover this himself. I could go down this route, cancel the claim on my own insurance and save myself a lot of hassle. However, there’s a risk that costs could be higher and of course there’s the risk that I couldn’t get him to pay. I imagine that once insurance companies take over costs will run into thousands regardless of the level of damage to the car.

Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Why should it run into thousands because the insurer is involved? It's down to what you submit for your repairs. If it's a few hundred, that'll be the cost of the claim. They won't send an assessor for that

Search MIBI Protocol on the MIBI website to see how the system operates and how to recover the excess applicable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Thanks for that. That's good to know. I assumed an assessor would be involved regardless.

Having spoken to MIBI it appears the protocol as explained on the website is no longer up to date. I was told that the claim form on the website should no longer be used. Instead of applying to MIBI directly, my insurer is required to clarify with MIBI whether the other driver is insured and then the insurer submits the claim to MIBI.

(First time using this new version of Boards - it's awful)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I presume you called the gardai?

If not, I'd be contacting them immediately.

Insurance will most likely want a Garda report number.

No I didn't call the gardai. At the time there was no need. It was a very minor collision - nobody was injured and insurance details were exchanged. The insurance issue only arose after I called his insurer. The insurer did not ask for a Garda report number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,406 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The chances of someone uninsured paying for the damage would be up there with pigs flying. MIBI could take 2 years, I'd report him to Gardai for colliding in to you with no insurance and consider it a dead loss as to recovering a cent from him.

I'm not sure how much you know about moden cars but what can look like a slight tap on the back bumper can quickly run in to thousands when bumper needs to be replaced, parking sensors need to be replaced etc etc.

Two years? Jaysis, I got a different impression from my insurer. So in that case my insurer would treat it as a claim against my own insurance until it's resolved with MIBI?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,406 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That's what I heard in previous cases, now that was in cases where proof had to be established that an uninsured driver hit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If Gardai verify the other driver is uninsured and you have Comprehensive cover, your insurer handles the claim on behalf of the MIBI under the protocol and it will be done quickly. As advised, it will not affect your bonus or premium, that's the agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 37 oojohoo1

if its only looking like a few hundred euro, drop it into a garage for a quote.

Get him to pay upfront. Id prefer to have it handled away from insurance companies.

I think, you will need to disclose it at each renewal for 4 years if you were involved in a car "accident"?

The price of your premium hike over 4 years may be higher than the cost of the repairs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement