Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pressurised attic pump acting oddly in past few days

• 20-07-2021 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

A quick summary is that the submersible pump in the attic (submersed in cold water tank) is acting oddly in the middle of the day.

It seems fine in the earlier part of day and at night time.

I am wondering if it could be something relating to the recent spell of hot weather and the ambient temp in the attic. I could be way off !

I've checked various things. Our mains water supply is a private scheme and we have a water softener in our garage with a 500 litre potable water buffer tank.

The mains supply is fine. The potable buffer tank (which holds the softened water) is full to the ballcock valve.

The pressure of the mains at the kitchen tap/cold is fine (of course with current weather conditions it wouldn't surprise me if we do eventually have a cut in mains supply just knowing the limitations of our local water supply, but so far that has held up just fine).

What I am seeing in the afternoons (when attic is like a sauna) is that the kitchen taps and toilet flush are not bringing the pump on automatically.

At one point, I recall resetting the pump. The pressure gauge looked ok (2.5Bar, I think).

Again in layman terms there is an expansion vessel involved there, the HW cylinder is in the attic (rather than on the floor below attic) so everything is pressurized. Also, from discussions with my plumber (who no doubt is flat out with jobs) from last year, the electronics part of the submersible pump assembly is what he calls a hydrostat. We replaced that last year and I cannot recall if that was just wear and tear.

No ideas on this.. could it be the higher than usual attic temperatures playing with some sensitive setting somewhere ?

Another thing to add is that our DHW is heated by immersion and I did see another poster mention about immersion overheat in recent days but that may have no relevance to my issue it all.

Like I say.. the peculiar thing is that the pump response seems to recover later in the day and in the morning and this issue has only occurred during this current "heatwave"

Ultimately I know this is something for my plumber to look at.

Is it possible this is just an quirk of the hot weather ???

Advertisement