Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What treatment for external wall cladding

Options
  • 20-07-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit bewildered by all of the options for some external cladding I'm planning to mount to a concrete block wall.

The cladding will be seperate lengths of battens with a 10mm gap between them (probably mixture of 44mm and 94mm or similar) and softwood (either White/Red deal or Irish Larch..maybe Siberian if budget can stretech).

I'd like to the colour to be the darker colour you get with oiled wood or else light-brown i.e. don't want the weathered Silver-Grey look but more close to original colour or light-brown)

I'm thinking painting is more frequent maintainance although I appreciate it's easier initially than an oil or stain so not overly keen if have to re-paint a lot more frequently (I could be wrong here)

From a bit of research I can see the main reccomended types are Omso UV Oil and Owatrol but Owatrol have you using 3 different products depending on if you let the wood weather or not.

So few questions if anyone has any guidence on this:

• Any reccomendations on how best to preserve the natural colour of the wood or use a light brown stain?
    • Is factory-treated wood reccomended given the work involved in using some of the above companies products (particulaly Owatrol) which seem to do the same work anyway and my impression of a lot of factory treated wood is that treatment is often not that far impregnanted into the wood.
    • Assume PAO is best here given coverage/soakage of rough-sawn?
    • Should I let the wood (if factory treated) weather for a year before applying a colour reviver then whatever finishing treatment?

Thanks

Comments

Advertisement