Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart heating questions

Options
  • 20-07-2021 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks

I am looking to upgrade the heating in my house with smart heating and looking for some advice. My house is 3 story. 11 rads. Right now I have a wired controller beside the boiler and it has 3 zones, Water, Heating 1, Heating 2.

Heating 1 has 4 rads

Heating 2 has 7 rates split across 2 floors.

Currently I have problems with getting water pressure to the top floor so I am thinking of changing the boiler to a 30kw boiler. (happy to hear thoughts and recommendations on this.

I am consider Tado, HIVE, Nest.

I do not have thermostats in any rooms at the moment so would like to go wireless if possible.

I also want to ensure that the zones work well and that I can heat all rooms independently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if there is a contractor you recommend for this please also advise, I am based in Cork.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

The plumber will be able to suggest a system but if you want to heat all rooms independently then you'd actually be talking about 11 zones (assuming one rad per room).

Some of the smart systems mentioned seem to operate only one zone at a time so you'd need two of each of the Hive and Nest I believe.

As such you might want to look into smart thermostatic rad valves for that (Tado do them) - it will be pricey though.

You might be able to move into a three zone system at a high level and still have the thermostatic rad valves but definitely going to be very expensive to create a new zone and have thermostatic valves per room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bumblebee22

i have pihome heating system installed. Love it. Total 15 zones controlled by this system, my system was installed by registered installer about two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

I installed Drayton wiser last year. 11 rooms with smart TRV's.

I installed it myself and it was very easy once I worked out the boiler wiring.

Only problem I had was in 2 rooms TRV's losing signals and turning on. I got a Drayton repeater socket for £30 or £40 and not a hiccup since.

There is a huge thread on the home tech thread with a lot of very knowledgeable people on it so you might be better putting you question there.

Advertisement