Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power City

Options
  • 19-07-2021 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Have a washing machine that has a software issue and is 2y 3m old bought from the above retailer.

I've been in touch with them and as expected they told me they don't honour the Sales of Goods Act, when I asked for this in an email, they refused.

I've also been in touch with the CPCC to see who can enforce this law. Answer is nobody enforces it.

Got a new machine but wondering what I can claim for in the SCC, price of new machine, price of old machine etc.

Are all 'retailers' of this attitude with regards to Consumer Law and if so, why the lack enforcement?

Apologies for ranting but if I broke a law.....etc etc etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’ve had similar experience with PC, send them an email saying you will seek redress via the SCC and open a claim against them only €25 to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Thanks, have done that as advised by the CPCC. Just a shame that major retailers can choose to ignore the law with no repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

How does the washing machine have a software issue? Did you update the software on it? If so then it is highly unlikely that you would be covered by the Sale of Goods and supply of services act as the machine is free of physical manufacturing defects, a self installed software update would likely invalidate any rights that you have with the retailer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

To be successful you will need to show that it is a manufacturing fault. Maybe all it needs is a reset?

Did you google the issue and see if its something that is known (and in most cases easily fixed)

But don't expect power city or any retailer to simply accept what you say and hand you a new machine or give a free repair.

Most domestic appliance repair places will charge €50-€60 for a call out and they can give an expert opinion.

And I doubt that they said that they did not adhere to the SOGA. I suspect that they said the issue was not covered.

When a machine does not work as intended ie cycling through the Delay timer when pressing the start button, even though there is a separate delay start button, then I do expect the retailer to accept my word and repair it for free. Having operated it consistently since the time of purchase, and a background in electronics, I feel very confident in explaining the defect.

Again, I was told verbally, that they do not honour the SOGA, not that they don't adhere to it, which is why I requested that statement in email form, which was refused. In order to force them to adhere to the SOGA, I must first make a claim in the SCC.

It was not a software install by myself and I did reset it to no avail.

I can get an engineer out to diagnose and fix at my own cost but under the SOGA, this is the retailers obligation, not a choice of will they, won't they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Power City are the worst.

Ordinarily it's the small claims court for these types of cases - I assume you'd be claiming it's not reasonably durable. How much did it cost? Any award you may get is likely to take into account the 2+ years of use you got from it. So then it's down to whether it's worth the effort and this is what Power City are hoping will stop consumers from following through on their claims.

Quick question, while waiting on the SCC, do I need to hold onto the broken machine or can I go ahead and recycle it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Advertisement