Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New storage heating or heat pump

• 19-07-2021 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

I have heard horror stories about storage heating what are the new systems like? Are they still crazy expensive to run?

What would be the cheaper long term option new storage heating or a heat pump?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Storage heaters cost the same to run as before. They aren't too expensive as they are run on the night rate. The most common complaint is that they don't give you much control. You can't pop them on for an hour to take the chill out of the room.

Are you in a house or apartment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

There are many new developments in both areas. The problem with storage heating as stated earlier is the lack of control. With heat pumps, they are much more flexible. Still not cheap, but much more controllable with the internet, Heating and cooling is the only way to go in my opinion. Remote control access has been fantastic. I havent been home in nearly two years, yet when someone is using the holiday home, I can switch the heat pump on an hour before they arrive to warm the house up for them (same with the heating). Heat pumps can also have various other functions which are very useful when it comes to keeping a house dry..... the decision is yours... lots of options out there...

It's a house, storage heating is already fitted and new however I'm thinking of ripping it out and going with a heat pump.

I have heard stories of people spending approx 200 plus per month on electricity bills and not being able to do washing etc until middle of the night due to day rates being double normal day rates for elec.

I have no experience with either system only oil or gas heating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If the insulation and airtightness is poor you'll be spending big on your electricity bill with a heat pump ( or storage heaters for that matter ) ,

If you upgrade the insulation and airtightness a lot then it wouldn't take much electricity with either system to keep you comfortable ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement