Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSS & Quitting the Public Sector

Options
  • 17-07-2021 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi there,

What happens to my pension contributions under the SPSS if one were to quit a public sector job to go into the private sector after 5 years? Would I be able to get my payments back? (I don't think so!) Otherwise, how would I figure out how much of a pension I'd be entitled to when I retire in 30-odd years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

You can only take them out within 2 years. After that not.

I don't know the answer to what happens going forward sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

You may be able to work out what it is worth now, and the hope would be increases in pay for your grade(s) match inflation in the future.

It's based on a career averaged salary so is very particular to your situ. See if this helps:

https://singlepensionscheme.gov.ie/for-members/scheme-information/single-scheme-estimator-tool/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Google deferred benefit + single scheme. There may also be a calculator online as per the link above.

You'll get a pension at normal retirement age (age 67 or 68?) based on your career average salary and 5 years' service. A very small pension in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Cliona2012

Thank-you all

Advertisement