Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young man rheumatoid arthritis

Options
  • 16-07-2021 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So today I've been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, started as a bit niggling pain in one of my hands around the start of the year.

But now some of my knuckles and fingers are swollen like sausages and it's very painful to move any of my hand/finger joints. My feet also in alot of pain.

I'm only 28 so am quite shocked that I have rheumatoid arthritis, always been told it's only "old" people that get it.

Got chest x-ray today and Have to get blood tests done next week. I was told they would put me on methotrexate and that this will be for life.

I'll be honest and say I'm iffy on having a read online with the side effects and wondering if any one knows of other kind of treatments or if any is currently on methotrexate.

Thanks

Comments

I'm not sure on treatment options, but RA is horrible to live with so don't wait too long to start treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My sister has RA. She is on Methotrexate and 2 montly infusion of Inflixamab . She is a new person on that treatment and within weeks her swollen fingers were normal and her ankles pain free and able to walk

There are treatments available so go get them . Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

You have to adjust your diet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭3d4life

Hi HB,

Sorry to read about your RA. Does tend to be 50+yos that find they have it but can be from teen. Also ( like many autoimmune diseases ) its mainly females that get it. I guess you, like I, are male. MTX tends to be one of the initial drugs they offer to control RA ( its inexpensive, easy to take ).

If flares are not got under control they usually result in joint damage. If MTX alone does not get it under control then its common to be offered a combination of it with a biologic ( I'm on Humira ). ( Dont even think of looking at the documented possible side effects of some biologics :) )

Talk to your rheum team about drug options.

Feel free to pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Thanks everyone.

They told me my bloods are currently fine and x-ray is ok

They are sending my methotrexate prescription to me so should have them next week. First dosage is 15mg so will see how I react to them.

They said if I have any side effects let them know and they will adjust.

Thanks @3d4life will pm you if I have any questions for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

In what way?

Eat more of certain foods? Ie more protein or something else?

Sugar, cooking oil, fructose and everything else that have high glycemic index.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I don't think it's fair to post something saying you HAVE to adjust your diet. While many people find relief from inflammatory diseases through diet change it is not a cure-all, and there is a lot of conflicting evidence out there about what kind of foods are best and what should be avoided.

Advising the OP to investigate the research out there is a good thing, declaring that they HAVE to do something is another.

I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis at 24 so I understand the shock you're feeling about a "lifelong" illness at such a young age. I've been on methotrexate for many years, with a biologic as well for the last 5 years or so. I found I had a lot of headaches with methotrexate at the beginning, but they eased off after about 6 weeks. Anytime the dose was increased the headaches came back for 4-6 weeks again, but always went away eventually.

Don't skip your regular blood tests as they need to keep an eye on liver function etc. If there is a problem and they catch it early then they can adjust the dosage or try something else.

Absolutely fair to say. Fat cells excrete pro-inflammatory compounds and the more of these cells you have, the more inflammation you'll have. By contrast, eating fewer calories with adequate nutrient intake has anti-inflammatory effects. Eating less helps to lower insulin resistance and blood sugar, and reduces oxidative stress. Give your body chance to repair it self.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 patobrien12

Have a look at CBD oil. My mother has the same RA as well and swears by using the oil and the cream together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement