Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

New PV array, inverter oddity

• 16-07-2021 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ harderthanf

Just finished installing a 6.8KW array (17 x Longi 400W). Belter of a day here, sun directly over head, perfect angle, no clouds, can't get the input over 5.9KW. Was on to SMA and they say the inverter I have (SB 6.0) can take up to 9000W on the input side but only put out a max of 6KW to the grid. This is looking like I am losing ~ 800W somewhere?

Any ideas? no shading, everything else looks good!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭ graememk

Was on to SMA and they say the inverter I have (SB 6.0) can take up to 9000W on the input side but only put out a max of 6KW to the grid. 

There you go, the max it can output is 6kW, 5.9 from a 6kW inverter is normal. - You'll never pass 6kW.

It can take 9000W of panels, -perfect for over sizing arrays for less than perfect weather - you dont gain anything on the peak of the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ harderthanf

Surely it should register more than 6.0KW on the DC input side but not more than 6.0KW on the AC out put side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭ graememk

No, not necessarily, if it's not being used.. it's not generated. - otherwise that excess would have to go somewhere - as heat.,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1

5.9 from 6.0 inverter, happy days, everything working as expected

Advertisement