Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Ultrasonic Cleaners - Yay or Nay?

• 15-07-2021 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ AxleAddict

I've been thinking about getting my hands on an ultrasonic cleaner for a while now, primarily for cleaning the drivetrain of my bike (chain, cassette etc) although I'm sure I could probably find other uses for it too. The reviews I've been looking at online seem to me mostly positive - although I do see occasional mentions of durability/reliability of some of these units. Was wondering what peoples opinions of them are? Are there any recommended brands or brands to avoid? Are there any 'must-have' features like in-built heating? What about the cleaning solutions (if any) that you use to aid in dirt removal or degreasing? Are there any potential pitfalls to be aware of?

I can normally do a pretty decent job (to my eyes at least) of cleaning my drivetrain whilst it's still on the bike, but obviously the ultrasonic cleaner could (potentially) provide a much deeper clean as well as reaching those parts which you just can't get to with a brush or chain cleaner. I'm guessing that even with an ultrasonic cleaner it will still be necessary to perform some manual cleaning of the components either before and/or after using the ultrasonic bath, just to remove any particularly stubborn dirt or to remove any remaining cleaning/degreasing solution?

Comments

Advertisement