If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denon 6700H 4k/120 and speaker placement query

Options
  • 15-07-2021 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hey folks, Looking for some advice if you can help on 3 things? The room is basically a rectangle, LG65CX Denon AVR 4400H setup for 7.1.2 Fronts Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR (with built-in Atmos) Surrounds Gale Silver x 2 rears Yamaha NS-b285 x2 Centre Q-Acoustics 3090Ci Sub Yamaha NS-sw 280 1.Im Looking at the Denon 6700H for a few reasons. It says it has the front wide functionality? I’ve some gaps between my fronts and the Surrounds bookshelves. Would this add much to the soundstage? Would standard bookshelves with these Front wides do the trick if they were to be filled? 2. Could I add atmos, up-firing speakers, on top of said front wides? For a 9.1.4 setup? Alternatively, I currently have the Denon 4400h that has 2 spare heights, could these be used for up firing atmos speakers in a front wide position (in between fronts and surrounds?) that could give me a 7.1.4 setup? Do up firing atmos speakers matter where they are placed? 3. The 2020 model Denon 6700 is one of the ones that need the external hardware for 4K/120 to work correctly yes? I read this recently “ The 2020 models being released from the factory as of about May/June 2021 should feature the new ("fixed") HDMI 4k/120Hz and 8k/60Hz board. To determine if the unit you have recently purchased, or are about too purchase, has the fixed board or not, enter the AVR's serial number in to the SPK618 HDMI Adapter order webpage (as noted above). If the AVR has the "fixed" board, the response (as reported by a German Hi Fi Forum member who recently purchased his X3700H) should be: "Your device already has the necessary hardware for the perfect 4k120 gaming experience with all game consoles." From: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-2020-denon-avr-owners-thread-faq-posts-1-8.3151088/post-59754166 Do you have these May /June stock avail and are all the HDMI connections enabled for 4K/120? Or just one? I managed to score a ps5 and Xbox series x and don’t fancy having to change cables every time. Any advice is welcome! (also good to see boards.ie back working!) Thanks Eoin

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for the post Eoin and I'll try to answer your questions as best I can!

1. From what I can gather if you use the Front Wide set up you can configure a pair of your Atmos speakers to be incorporated into the front speakers. It sounds like it should be 7.1.4 but it's classed as 9.1.2 which seems to give a better soundstage from the front with a pair of Atmos included. You can then add a second set of Atmos speakers into the rear of the system or a pair of in ceilings above your listening position to complete the 9.1.2 Atmos set up. You can do this with any bookshelf or floorstander speakers but one pair would have to be set as Atmos speakers.
    2. From the specifications you can run a 9.1.4 Atmos system as well but I'm not too sure if you will still be able to use the Front Wide setting in that configuration as you need to assign one of the Atmos pairs into it. I'd need to do a bit more reading on that though to be sure!
    3. We only have a couple of the earlier models of the AVCX6700 available in store but they would be from around March/April. I will have to look into the HDMI inputs on this model for you!

Leave it with me though and I'll see what I can find out for you!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Keoin18

Thanks for the quick response David,

From what im reading it makes sense that if I had a 9.1.2 (via the AVCX6700h), id have to choose between a 7.1.4 setup or a 9.1.2 setup as the max channels are 11 on the receiver. if I had to choose between a 7.1.4 or a 9.1.2, which would be better? Im thinking the 9.1.2 (front wides and atmos in the front speakers) but checking options.

Also for Atmos upfiring (sitting on top of bookshelves) most places on the internet seem to show that they have to be placed on the front speakers or the rear surround speakers. Is it possible (or even wise) to place them on the surrounds or front wides? can this be done or would there be too much cross over?

any idea when (or if) Denons new hardware is coming out this year? Thinking maybe the 4k/120 would be resolved by default and hoping that hdmi2.1a would be on more then just one HDMI in (if thats the case for the 6700)

Thanks as always!

Eoin

Hi keoin18,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you!

I think if you're using 4 Atmos speakers the Front Wide set up would be best as it would give a good soundstage. You can certainly play about with it though and see which set up suits your room best.

For placement the best way to install Atmos speakers would be with in ceiling speakers but as long as upfiring speakers are angled towards your listening position you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

As the amps we have available arrived with us in April/May I think you would need to order the hardware upgrade which is available to order free of charge via Denons website!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Thanks for the info David,

The possible one HDMI 2.1a input is causing me some hesitation and hold off for now. Hoping the next generation models have more then the one input (dont fancy having to swap out the xbox and the ps5 all the time.

So ideally I think I'm looking for 2 or more HDMI2.1a inputs, front wides avail with 13 channels avail so I can get 9.1.4 going.

I believe for the 9.1.4 setup I may need to consider a 2 or 3 channel preamp though thats soemthing I can add on, but the hdmi may be harder (if possible)

Appreciate the details David

Eoin

Hi Keoin18,

If you keep an eye out for the Yamaha RXA8A it will be an 11 channel amplifier with 8K and 120Hz which will be available via firmware update rather than hardware.

I don't have an ETA for when they're arriving or a price but they would be a good option!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread but saw some new information relating to this initial topic.

I'm seeing that Denon are releasing a piece of hardware, the Denon AVS-3 in October that seems to solve the 4k/120 concerns I had before.

Do you guys know if you will be stocking it?

If so I'm considering the Denon 6700H.

Can you recommend some good bookshelf speakers for the additional front wides that the 6700 has? Again the usual caveats apply to avoid testing my wife's patience! Can't be too expensive or large, and not too obvious looking!

I'm considering the Q-Acoustics 3010i or the 3020i. Would these be wasted on front wide uses? Also, would they work well with my current setup (see below)?

As always thanks in advance!

My Current Setup

--------------

The room is basically a rectangle, LG65CX tv

Denon AVR 4400H setup for 7.1.4, Driving:

Surrounds: 2x Gale Silver Monitor,

Rears: 2x Monitor MASS Satellites

Centre: Q-Acoustics 3090Ci

Sub: Yamaha NS-sw 280

Atmos: 2x Elac Debut A4 Mk2 & 2x Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR

Denon PMA600 driving:

Fronts: 2x Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR (with built-in Atmos)

Hi keoin18,

Thanks for the post!

The AVS-3 looks to be a 3 port switcher for the 2021 AV receivers. I will need to look into this to see if it's something you need to get from Denon direct. The current hardware update on the AVRs is ordered direct by the customer but because these have a price I need to see if we will be supplying them ourselves.

If you're looking for a pair of front wides for your system I would actually go for the Monitor Audio Bronze FX speakers. These will give a wider spread of sound than a pair of directional bookshelf speakers:

Let me know what you think of this option!

Kind regards

David

Hey David,

thanks for the response and the suggestion. I love the idea of the bronze fxs but the positioning of the two front wides I don’t think the di -pole will work though as one of them will be sitting in a corner on a cabinet with a larger cabinet beside it, so one of the side speakers will be outputting directly into some wood so may not produce the best sound and the di-pole would prob be wasted

Also I think bookshelf speakers may be a bit more subtle where they will be installed, resulting in a happier wife!

any bookshelf or Di-poles with a similar form factor that you could suggest?

thanks!

eoin

• Company Representative Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Keoin18.

If you wanted to use a bookshelf there is a great deal on the Monitor Audio Bronze 1 (Walnut Only) priced at 129 Euro

Or perhaps the very well reviewed Wharfedale 220 coming in at 185.00 Euro (These a a little on the larger size)

Of maybe even the Fyne Audio F300 priced at 199 Euro

Really other the other Di-pole would be the Higher up the range Monitor Audio Silver FX priced at 499 Euro

Let me know if any of these might be of interest.

Thanks Kenny for the suggestions.

Would the Qacoustics 3020i or 3010i work too? The reason I ask is I have the 3090Ci centre and am really impressed, and was thinking for consistency to have sets that compliment each other. Also at some stage, (not right now) I may replace the surrounding Gale Silver monitors with similar too?

What do you think?

Thanks

Eoin

• Advertisement

Hi Keoin18.

You could indeed use either the 3020i or 3010i to match in with your centre.

The 3020i are priced up at 199 Euro

And the 3010i coming in at 185 Euro

If wall mounting then the bracket for these are the 3000WB coming in at 22.99 Euro Each.

Thanks Kenny!

Do you have stock from May /June for the Denon 6700? From what I read,

The 2020 models being released from the factory as of about May 2021 should feature the new ("fixed") HDMI 4k/120Hz and 8k/60Hz HDMI jack. To determine if the unit you have recently purchased, or are about too purchase, has the fixed board or not, enter the AVR's serial number in to the SPK618 HDMI Adapter order webpage (as noted above). If the AVR has the "fixed" board, the response will be:

"Your device already has the necessary hardware for the perfect 4k120 gaming experience with all game consoles."

If so can I get a price for the Denon 6700 and the QAcoustics 3020i Grey graphite?

Thanks!!

Eoin

Link: Info i found on the 6700h

Hey Keoin18.

We currently only have the one 6700 in stock and it is not one of the updated versions.

I'm not sure when we will see more arriving just yet.

I could offer a 6700 and a pair of 3020i together for 2750.00 Euro delivered.

I'll also check if we know when we might get the updated versions into stock.

Hey Kenny,

Sounds like a good deal.

Im being a bit pedantic here, but want to be sure of something. Can I confirm the release period of the 6700 you have avail? Again internet research pointed to some early versions having a capacitor issue that in some cases needed replacement. As I understand some X6700Hs that used these substituted capacitors, were very early on in production and later released models were corrected, but want to be sure!

Thanks

Eoin

Hi Keoin18.

Unfortunately I don't have the release period on the 6700 but the last batch of 6700 we got into stock was at the end of July.

I typed its serial number into the checker and it comes back as not updated. Serial number needs the last 5 digits to be over 70000 for the updated units. With production very very slow on ALL AV receivers the next drop does not have an ETA as of yet.

You can of course still get the dongle for the unit direct from Denon and this corrects the issue also.

Post edited by Richersounds.ie: Kenny on

Noted Kenny,

As always thanks for your patience!

I think ill pull the trigger on the offer above

Denon 6670 and the Qacoustics 3020i for €2750.

Will I phone in or PM?

Thanks

Eoin

Hey Eoin.

If you want to drop me a PM with your full name and a contact number I can give you a buzz to finalise things up.

I did a quick search on our system under your boards name but nothing came up.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.