Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Copy sim card? More than one device same number

Options
  • 15-07-2021 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new devices that can accept a sim card to upload files directly without connecting to wifi. Can I get a copy of my phone sim card and have both devices use the same number? Three said it was not possible but I am pretty sure it isn't a technology restriction just the operator. So can I go to a phone repair shop and copy my sim and do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lordsheepface

The short answer here is no. You can't clone a SIM card in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ This.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It’s not limited by technology, I’m not in ireland but have 3 SIM cards for the same number, getting an unlimited internet package has allowed me run my phone, 5G route mini and an IPAD all on the same account. Phone company charges €5 a month for the additional sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That might not be the exact same thing though. The three sim cards are sharing a data package, but I wonder if it works when you try to use the sims on two phones and have someone call your number. I.e. you have one phone at home and another abroad, does the network try to redirect calls to both phones including the roaming one?

If someone texts your number - do all three sims pick up the texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

As above.

To answer the question of cloning a SIM, no this won't work, the embedded data on a SIM is unique (IMSI,MSISDN and authentication data) and cannot register on the network (HLR) twice.

However the HLR can support Dual IMSI and Dual MSISDN but it's not used by the Irish Operators, their vendor's would charge a hefty fee to enable those features and with little or no demand it wouldn't be worth the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement