Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-disclosure of minor conviction

• 06-07-2021 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Anybody had any problems starting a new job when asked about disclosing a minor conviction but fail to do so? In terms of jobs that don't require mandatory Garda vetting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

BenjiZ wrote: »
    Anybody had any problems starting a new job when asked about disclosing a minor conviction but fail to do so? In terms of jobs that don't require mandatory Garda vetting.

Have you read up on Spent Convictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BenjiZ

athlone573 wrote: »
    Have you read up on Spent Convictions?

Yes I have but unfortunately the matter has occurred recently. I have heard from a friend that works in HR that many organisations don't do rigorous checks anymore due to GDPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

If its not garda vetting, then I would guess they're more interested to know about offences involving dishonesty than e.g. speeding if it's a desk job.

If the conviction is relevant to the job then they'd probably fire you (or maybe fire you anyway for lying on your application) when they find out and Ireland is a small place.

No personal experience though sorry.

athlone573 wrote: »
    If its not garda vetting, then I would guess they're more interested to know about offences involving dishonesty than e.g. speeding if it's a desk job.

If the conviction is relevant to the job then they'd probably fire you (or maybe fire you anyway for lying on your application) when they find out and Ireland is a small place.

No personal experience though sorry.

Ye I was thinking the same but unsure how they could find out. Thanks for the feedback either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It won't matter in reality unless something happens in your job that requires a significant investigation. Then it might come up.

• Advertisement

It won't matter in reality unless something happens in your job that requires a significant investigation. Then it might come up.

Do you mean if the employee conducts themselves in such a way that requires an internal investigation? Like a serious breach of policy of some sort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

Employer could withdraw job offer (with no risk) or dismiss you (with risk depending on service period) for disclosure of the conviction. Employers quite judgemental and unforgiving with convictions from my experience - I would not disclose and try to live your life.

Advertisement