Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short changed restaurant

Options
  • 06-07-2021 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭

Has this happened to any posters lately. It happened to my elderly dad earlier for lunch. He was left short changed by 20 euro. He gave 2 50 euro notes for lunch for my Mum, myself and my Dad. When he called over the manager who was serving us. The manager even said before my Dad said it oh yeh you gave me two 50 euro notes. The ****er is probably doing old people out of it all the time hoping they don't look at their change. My Dad was drinking pints do he was probably hoping he was tipsy and didn't realize it. Always check your change folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

More than likely a mistake, I've done it myself while serving customers many a time. Sometime you just go into autopilot and don't think about what you're doing but the customer's query jogs your memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

billyhead wrote: »
    The ****er is probably doing old people out of it all the time hoping they don't look at their change..

or it was a simple mistake. These things can happen when your mind is elsewhere . I worked in a Bar/restaurant for 15 years and auto pilot can really kick in when at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Roughly one in every two times I'm overcharged in restaurants. The overcharge is directly proportional to the number of people at the table and how tipsy they are.
    But this is different....short changed..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Mistakes happen. I've got too much change at times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭billyhead

The thing is he knew how much my Dad gave him because when my Dad said you have given me the wrong change he said oh yeah you gave me 2 50 euro notes. Also the fact that he was leaving my Dad short a 20 euro note is odd and the restaurant wasn't even busy so he wasn't under any pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

billyhead wrote: »
    The thing is he knew how much my Dad gave him because when my Dad said you have given me the wrong change he said oh yeah you gave me 2 50 euro notes. Also the fact that he was leaving my Dad short a 20 euro note is odd and the restaurant wasn't even busy so he wasn't under any pressure.

Autopilot doesn't require pressure. It just happens sometimes. When called over, the server probably realised what had happened, so admitted the error quickly. I would give benefit of the doubt here unless it happened again.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Was shortchanged in a complete kip of a club. They pretended the 50 quid note I gave them was a 10. Unlike your case OP, the fella just roared abuse at me when I called him out. Learned a lesson that day and never use 50s anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Stopped using 50s for the very same reason - had two similar incidents within a short space of time. Always withdraw 40 or 80 from ATMs now. If I have the misfortune to get a 50 from someone, will get rid of it in a supermarket self- service machine at the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Used to work near a well known pub in D4. It changed hands shortly before I moved jobs but for the few months the new owners were running the place, I was aware that a particular barman was in the habit of making 'mistakes' with the change. A couple of years later, myself and a few former colleagues decided to meet up and have few pints there for old time's sake. I warned them in advance to keep an eye out for this guy. We arrived in the pub, your man was on duty and I bought the first round. Guess what? He short-changed me. He apologised profusely and settled up but all of us watched our change for the rest of the night.

CCTV cameras and private detectives employed by the owner mean that staff are now wary of ripping off the boss so they rip off the customers instead. If you're a few rounds into a gettogether and everyone is merry, you're an easy target.

Advertisement