Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juvenile delinquency?

• 06-07-2021 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

4 youths wer caught vandalising my deceased Aunt's house which is up for sale... splashed paint everywhere (what ever they wer doing!!! :mad:)... they wer caught on CCTV (from across the rd)..
    My cousin who is executor to the will was alerted to their presence and caught them in the act... cops wer called but didn't arrive till 4 hrs later.. :mad: statement has been since made by my cousin.. Q is, how will they be reprimanded? I am sooo angry about this! And this happened in a really "nice" neighbourhood - just shows - scoundrels can be found anywhere :mad::(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

sporina wrote: »
    4 youths wer caught vandalising my deceased Aunt's house which is up for sale... splashed paint everywhere (what ever they wer doing!!! :mad:)... they wer caught on CCTV (from across the rd)..
    My cousin who is executor to the will was alerted to their presence and caught them in the act... cops wer called but didn't arrive till 4 hrs later.. :mad: statement has been since made by my cousin.. Q is, how will they be reprimanded? I am sooo angry about this! And this happened in a really "nice" neighbourhood - just shows - scoundrels can be found anywhere :mad::(

If they’re over twelve years of age they’re criminally liable. I would encourage the executor to make a statement with the Gardai naming the individuals involved.

If the families are generally decent folks it might spur them on a wee bit to pay for the inevitable repairs which would in turn put the JLO in a position to quickly deal with the matter without too much time consuming procedure.

For the young lads involved it might actually make them think for a moment and help them to steer clear from more adolescent stupidity which it probably was.

I know this is not exactly legal advice but based on past experience dealing with similar matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭sporina

If they’re over twelve years of age they’re criminally liable. I would encourage the executor to make a statement with the Gardai naming the individuals involved.

If the families are generally decent folks it might spur them on a wee bit to pay for the inevitable repairs which would in turn put the JLO in a position to quickly deal with the matter without too much time consuming procedure.

For the young lads involved it might actually make them think for a moment and help them to steer clear from more adolescent stupidity which it probably was.

thanks - they wer all 14 yrs old apparently.. cousin made statement - names given...

"JLO"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sporina wrote: »
    "JLO"?
    Garda Juvenile Liaison Officer.

So, 4 teenagers and a wall that needs painting during the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭sporina

Victor wrote: »
    Garda Juvenile Liaison Officer.

So, 4 teenagers and a wall that needs painting during the summer?

huh? they splashed paint all over furniture etc... and they obv got paint on their feet/shoes and walked all over carpets with it.. and they broke in! (dunno how - hadn't been figured out)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,703 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

House insurance will cover the damage done, presumably. So OP's need for financial redress is not tied to the justice system.

If it is - i.e. if the executor failed to keep up the house insurance - then things don't look good. You can sue the perpetrators but, as they are only 14 years old, it is very unlikely that they can satisfy any judgment you might get against them. Their parents or families are not legally liable.

So back to the point made by Meathstevie in post 2. Although they are not legally liable, their families may be inclined to pay up if this will get their kids an easier ride from the court (which it will).

• Advertisement

They will be dealt with under the juvenile diversion program, so they will get a caution.

Advertisement