Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bird deterrent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hanging up some old CDs would be just as effective and I tried the CD method with limited success before. Old audio tape can also be stretched about the place and the birds are said to dislike the noise the tape makes when the wind blows through it. Most effective thing I have tried is netting but even this has its drawbacks unless you put the effort into completely sealing off an area and build a walk in frame to keep the netting in place through all sorts of weather. The advice I got when I inquired about solutions was to try a few different deterrents and alternate them so the birds don't get used to finding a way around just the one strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I've used THIS and THIS and found them OK

the key is to move them around every so often otherwise the birds get wise to it😑

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

As mentioned the birds get used to a lot of things. Some farmers refer to the bird scarer guns as dinner gongs as some pigeons have learned that the sound of them means food.

imo if its important then netting is the only answer and even then it needs to be a proper job.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement