Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel gates confusion

Options
  • 05-07-2021 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Please can someone sanity check these quotes for me? I've no idea what I'm doing!

I just got two quotes for steel gates. Gate is 3.45m wide. 2.4m high. The split will be 25:75 (rather than 50:50) to make a pedestrian gate which will be used most.

Quote one is:
    "supply and fitting of steel Framed gate inlaid with treated Cedar €1750"

The other:
    "Cost to supply and fit frames galvanised and powder coated supplied with composite boards. €4600. Frame only, with no boards: €3200"

It's a huge difference. I know I'm sort of comparing apples and oranges, but does either of them seem suspiciously high or low?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭shane b

Im guessing the price difference is in the finishes and materials. The cheaper one, the frame may be just painted covered with cedar coloured treated timber (wood). The dearer quote the frame is galvanised and powder coated (not painted) and covered with composite (plastic) boards. The dearer one to me would be more maintenance free over its Lifetime. Image search the terms to look at the different look of the gates.

Galvanising and powder coating would cost a good bit extra over paint even if its proper outdoor paint. I got 2 gates powder coated last year and it cost around 350 euro, granted my gates are 6ft all steel gates. Powder coating is supposed to last about 10 years too.

Advertisement