Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coughing for Weeks

• 05-07-2021 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Negative Covid Test but Coughing for around three weeks. Been to the GP several times and had antibiotics, nasal spray, inhaler and steroids AND am still coughing constantly. Is there something viral going around and can anyone give me hope that this might end soon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Negative Covid Test but Coughing for around three weeks. Been to the GP several times and had antibiotics, nasal spray, inhaler and steroids AND am still coughing constantly. Is there something viral going around and can anyone give me hope that this might end soon?

Personally, I'd be considering requesting a chest xray given it's a persistent cough and a number of remedies to date don't seem to be working, has your GP discussed this option? You could request a referral for x-ray , just might be worth considering.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Think I'd get another Covid test, then prob an xray, especially if the Dr is not giving a diagnosis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Senature wrote: »
    Think I'd get another Covid test, then prob an xray, especially if the Dr is not giving a diagnosis

Good luck regardless but any persistent cough if Covid-19 has been discounted any remedies you mentioned not clearing it really needs to be checked thoroughly, take care :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

From nutritional point of view could be lack of certain vitamins or minerals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i tested positive on 03/07/2021 and have had a bad cough since. it varies between a loose phlegmy one and a dry painful one.

I would recommend another covid test and then go from there (should be free).

It could be something in your house? for example, is there a new pet, new furniture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Ask for a referral to consultant. I was coughing for much longer and consultant was so thorough in getting to the bottom of it. No longer coughing!

I had chest xray, lung function test, allergy tests, sinus CT... The list goes on, but I now know what the issue was and sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's something you may not have have considered, acid reflux.

I had a persistent cough through December and January, was extremely worried it was covid. Had two tests but both came up negative.

My doctor suggested it might be GERD and gave me meds for it. Took a couple of months but it eventually cleared up. I didn't know acid reflux could give you that type of cough.

Dilute two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water would fix in a day. But do you know the root cause ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Years ago, I had a chest infection. The infection cleared in a week, but the cough lasted 3 weeks. One night, I woke at about 2am in a violent coughing fit. I was breathing into my stomach instead of my lungs for about 1-2 minutes. I went A&E and they gave me a cough suppressant. Cleared up in a few days. Essentially, the epiglottis was traumatised, although I think that was as much symptom as cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We think the problem was actually antibiotics.

I was really ill mid December and couldn't shake it at all, was freaked out it was covid - went for a test and it was negative.

Doctor prescribed antibiotics that got rid of most of the issues, but the cough persisted.

This went on for a month so I had another covid test - which was negative - followed by another, different course of antibiotics.

That didn't solve it either and at that point the doctor twigged that the cough wasn't an infection at all, but acid reflux instead.

We reckon what happened was the first course of antibiotics got rid of the infection causing the illness but actually gave me acid reflux! so I was then trying to shake off what I thought was the end of the illness but there was a completely different cause (which I kept exacerbating with more antibiotics)

All solved now thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I have an infection in my turbinates, something I had never heard of before this. But they are really enlarged and inflammed. I am on nasal steroids now and see an improvement already. I have to take them for 5 months in total. But it took a lot of tests with respiratory consultant and then ENT to get diagnosed.

It all started with an upper respiratory infection for me, and that was just a lingering symptom of it that never cleared I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I had a persistent cough over a couple of months.

wife nagged me into getting it checked out.

VHI fast clinic got me an X-ray and it (eventually) turned out to be sarcoidosis.

in my case it seems to be quite manageable and all I take is a steroid inhaler.

moral of the story is get it checked out and don’t be fobbed off by your doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Asthma? I got bronchitis in my twenties and developed severe allergic asthma after it which continues to today. Anything that makes my nose run including colds/pollen set me off badly

Do you aware adjusting food diet will greatly reduce asthma?

Advertisement