Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building Regulations in a nutshell

• 05-07-2021 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi all

and gratefull in advance for any advice given

I have planning permission for a small extension 15sqm (I did the plans myself)

I am trying to figure out the red tape involved in building the thing in such a way that its legal and certified

while doing as much of the work Myself as possible.

I would be gratefull if someone could give me the nutshel version of what the minimum I need to do is in terms of.

building regulations,
    commencement notice
    certification by professional

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Step 1: Hire professional who will be certifying the works
    Step 2: Ask them

I'm not saying the above to be dismissive or anything, but a lot of it is going to come down to the certifier and require their input anyway. Your best course of action is to engage them first, then get their opinion/guidance on everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

You as the owner are obliged to construct the extension in compliance with building regulations.
    You are also obliged to submit a commencement notice.

For a small domestic extension, you are not obliged to appoint a professional however unless you have a good understanding of the building regulations and building control system, you will have a difficult time ensuring that you build a compliant structure. If you don't build a complaint structure, you could get in to trouble later either by enforcement by the building control authority or, with certification if you wished to sell.

Also, it would be foolish to rely on tradesmen or builders in relation to building regulations.

You should appoint a competent professional (usually either an Architect, Engineer, Arch. Tech or Building Surveyor). They'll specify the works, inspect it and certify it on completion. They'll also deal with commencement notice for you.

On another note, strictly speaking, the works also require health and safety appointments and all the associated paperwork - i.e. a PSDP (usually the above professional) and a PSCS (usually the contractor)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Thanks for that folks

any recommendations on what type of professional to hire the options seem to be broad i.e. engineer architct ect....

and before anyone writes "hire a hairdresser"

considering that this is a small project and im looking to not spend unless essential.

cheers

Advertisement