Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutor for Independent Self Education?

Options
  • 05-07-2021 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

I like to self educate online and with books. We often forget how much information is free to us on the internet. But I often hit dead ends when I try to educate in this manner.

I find myself having an urge to understand how things around us work. Stuff to do with electronics and mechanics. I feel it's a shame that there's so much around us that we depend upon that we don't understand, while we instead busy ourselves with meaningless jobs.

So what I would like is some sort of an online tutor. Not someone to teach me, but someone to answer (what would seem like) random questions (and from there) to guide me towards what to study. I've tried online intellectual forums, but this hasn't really worked; people either don't want to admit they don't know, or they want to show off their knowledge which confuses me. Is there anyway I could find someone online who I could ask questions to on an on and off basis, and somehow arrange a fair way of paying them for it? I may only need to make contact with them 2 to 3 times per month, so they mightn't be getting paid a lot. So such a tutor would have to enjoy such a thing.

The thing about studying mechanisms, is that they never seem to be explained properly. It may take hours of frustration to realise that you were imagining something the wrong way. Whenever I read such concepts I mostly find myself with quite a few questions. It is then hard to motivate myself to read further without these questions being answered. Studying further concepts without properly understanding the concepts underpinned by so is feels pointless. Lately I was trying to understand the commutator (in a generator), but got a bit bewildered!

What options are there out there?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I like to self educate online and with books. We often forget how much information is free to us on the internet. But I often hit dead ends when I try to educate in this manner.

I find myself having an urge to understand how things around us work. Stuff to do with electronics and mechanics. I feel it's a shame that there's so much around us that we depend upon that we don't understand, while we instead busy ourselves with meaningless jobs.

So what I would like is some sort of an online tutor. Not someone to teach me, but someone to answer (what would seem like) random questions (and from there) to guide me towards what to study. I've tried online intellectual forums, but this hasn't really worked; people either don't want to admit they don't know, or they want to show off their knowledge which confuses me. Is there anyway I could find someone online who I could ask questions to on an on and off basis, and somehow arrange a fair way of paying them for it? I may only need to make contact with them 2 to 3 times per month, so they mightn't be getting paid a lot. So such a tutor would have to enjoy such a thing.

The thing about studying mechanisms, is that they never seem to be explained properly. It may take hours of frustration to realise that you were imagining something the wrong way. Whenever I read such concepts I mostly find myself with quite a few questions. It is then hard to motivate myself to read further without these questions being answered. Studying further concepts without properly understanding the concepts underpinned by so is feels pointless.

Thank you

Maybe you need better books? Or more structured approach that is sequential rather than wanting to know everything about random topics with no progression or built context?

Have you tried the moocs online? Many are free and they can offer insights into different areas and subjects at different levels? Might be of interest? Often they come with (free) online helproom ‘tutors’ or assistants. A lot of the US Ivy League colleges have then as freebies for various subjects at various levels. I did basic molecular chemistry as a freebie and learned that their marketing was far better than my interest in MC. But it was free so it didn’t hurt. There is also openlearn courses - again - I did one and it Lso had chatrooms for the interested ‘students’ to discuss aspects of the course and tutors would dip in and add comments or links or help.

Surely on the internet you can find plausible expainations for the items you want? There are amazing sites for so much out there. And museum sites for industry and science often have great learning zones...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You'd be surprised by how many questions you can get answered on the likes of Boards and Reddit. Then there's the army of random Indian Youtubers who are teaching the next generation of engineers what their lecturers can't be arsed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I've not used it, but might apprentus.com be an option? It seems you can get random tutoring in a host of subjects there. I just had a look and there were plenty of options if you select "online via webcam/country doesn't matter." Hope that helps!

I have used Udemy before, but there isn't really an option to ask questions (at least on the courses I did).

Good luck! I totally agree that there is so much out there, fair play to you for pursuing your curiosity!

Advertisement