Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Locatiing Specific WW1 Medals

• 04-07-2021 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi all. (Mods hope its OK to post here as I also posted in Militaria)

Is there any way to go about finding the World War 1 medals for a specific person? I'm pretty sure they are in private collections.

Are there any collectors forums or associations that I could contact? Although I'm pretty sure it will be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

It can be a minefield. Many WW1 medals were replicated and sold to relatives for wear during commemorations at the 50th or 75th anniversary etc.

I believe only medals issued posthumously would have the soldiers name and number engraved on the reverse.

The standard pair or trio of WW1 medals are quite common, and as a result of little monetary value, so did not make a huge impact on the resale front. Same however cannot be said for decorations such as the VC or MC.

Have you the medal card for the individual in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Hi Dohvolle,

Many thanks for the reply and the info. No I haven't got the medal card, but i can check with his relative whom I'm in contact with.

He survived the war and I think passed away in the 1950's or 60's, so probably no chance whatsoever of ever tracking them down?

The background to it: I chanced upon a WW1 ID Tag on sale on the internet. It intrigued me so I checked the ID and then to see if there was any relatives living who might want to have it .

A few years ago, a lady in England had posted up on social media that she was looking for info on him. So I bought the ID tag, tracked her down and and sent it over to her as a gift. She was thrilled. His war medals were sold off in a house clearance after his death.

Advertisement