Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage query

• 04-07-2021 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering could anyone here clarify something for me. I have a mortgage on my house with circa 150k of a balance, the house is valued at circa 350k. I am looking into the feasibility of buying a second home, living in it and letting out my current property, the rental income would more than offset the existing mortgage on my current home.

Would i be able to remortgage my existing home to pay for the new one or would I have to apply for a second mortgage completely?

Mortgage is with BOI

Thanks
    Paidi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

Due to COVID banks don't take potential rental income into account at the moment. So you'd have to apply for 2nd mortgage and banks will assume income from existing property will be 0.

May be possible when/if things get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

Just so as you are aware, even if you add the new borrowing to the existing house, you can still only offset the interest on the current 150K against tax on the rental income.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

Not answering your question I know, but please keep in mind that rental prices are unlikely to continue at current inflated rates over the term of a mortgage.

Just be careful when it comes to your home. No offence intended.

Advertisement