Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin supplements

Options
  • 04-07-2021 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

Can you buy these in pharmacies or only dedicated health food shops?

Asking for a friend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

both

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

both

And Tesco I think used stock some. Not sure if they do anymore. Not sure how I feel about tesco ‘drugs’. Guess I’d have no issue with buying disprin etc there so...

Chemists would have, ahem, a wider and more science based range...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭jackboy

Chemists would have, ahem, a wider and more science based range...

What would be the difference? Vitamins are vitamins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Most are absolute pseudoscience. Vitamin D in the winter is the only one you really need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Curry leftovers and a **** this morning.

Best vitamin boost ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Curry leftovers and a **** this morning.

Best vitamin boost ever.

Bit confused, so you wanked into your leftover curry to get a vitamin boost? :eek:

Speaking of ****, men how overdo it can be low in Zinc so can be beneficial to take a zinc supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Mimon wrote: »
    Speaking of ****, men how overdo it can be low in Zinc so can be beneficial to take a zinc supplement.

Go on the zinc

Go on the zinc

Ohhh..... :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mimon wrote: »
    On the other hand ladies who feel they may be lacking in zinc can go the fully organic route.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Most shops have vitamins, even some larger corner shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,853 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Most are absolute pseudoscience. Vitamin D in the winter is the only one you really need.

There are a host of medical conditions where vitamin supplements are crucial to recovery and maintaining wellbeing ... vitamin B1 I take, along with D... i enquired at my last Mater consultation regarding stopping taking the meds and was told in no uncertain terms NO.... there will be a time that they’ll not be necessary but keep going they said...

Along with my own condition people with liver problems, on dialysis, HIV / AIDS sufferers and various other conditions causing vitamin deficiency all require B1...

B1 is also given to many professional athletes as over exercising is known to deplete levels of thiamine...I’m far from a professional athlete but I exercise twice a day 6 days a week...

Strumms wrote: »
    There are a host of medical conditions where vitamin supplements are crucial to recovery and maintaining wellbeing ... vitamin B1 I take, along with D... i enquired at my last Mater consultation regarding stopping taking the meds and was told in no uncertain terms NO.... there will be a time that they’ll not be necessary but keep going they said...

Along with my own condition people with liver problems, on dialysis, HIV / AIDS sufferers and various other conditions causing vitamin deficiency all require B1...

B1 is also given to many professional athletes as over exercising is known to deplete levels of thiamine...

Yes but for the general population they are useless.

Of course if a doctor prescribes them for some reason that is different.

jackboy wrote: »
    Yes but for the general population they are useless.

Of course if a doctor prescribes them for some reason that is different.

Would you consider a pregnant woman to be part of the ‘general population, Athletes ?

Unless you're a third worlder, vitamin supplements will only end up poisoning you.

Funny, that, they have had the opposite effect on me...:D Must mention your views to my doctor friend. :o

Would you consider a pregnant woman to be part of the ‘general population, Athletes ?

No.

Pregnant women need to take folic acid for good reasons which are proven.

Athletes are not part of the ‘general population’

No.

Pregnant women need to take folic acid for good reasons which are proven.

Athletes are not part of the ‘general population’

They are also prescribed various vitamin supplements. B1 thiamine included.

Athletes are not part of the general population ? Ok :D

They are also prescribed various vitamin supplements.

Athletes are not part of the general population ? Ok :D

The vast majority of people taking vitamin supplements do not need them.

But if you want to spend money producing vitamin infused urine then knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

If you eat a balanced diet you shouldn't really need any supplements imo.
    Of course if you are pregnant or extremely athletic you may require supplements, but that's because the body is under a form of stress.

The vast majority of people taking vitamin supplements do not need them.

But if you want to spend money producing vitamin infused urine then knock yourself out.

What is your source for this ? Do you know these people ? :). The vast majority? :D

No I just want to as I’ve told you, keep taking what I’ve been advised to... by multiple consultants ...thanks for your concern.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vitamin C and the B vitamins tend to be water soluble so our body doesn't store them for months. A,D,E and K are fat soluble so you can overdose if you keep taking extra.

If your diet is OK you shouldn't need extras. When we went into lock down I got some vitamin C and some kids vitamins because they have smaller amounts, in case fruit and veg were going to be scarce. Maybe took one a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Can you buy these in pharmacies or only dedicated health food shops?

Asking for a friend.

My friend wants to know what your friend thinks of the answers so far.

If you eat a balanced diet then multivitamins won't really help and your body just gets rid of the excess vitamins. But if you aren't getting them all then supplements can help you.

I would question the "need" of that one too. For the vast majority of people - the vast majority of the time - it seems to do absolutely nothing. And the recent "report" submitted to the government on the subject of dispensing it during Covid times was pretty poor and the Irish you tube "doctor" who reviewed that report even more so.

A pity though. Given the number of things claimed for Vitamin D supplments - I really wish it was the miracle pill that people pretend it is. Everything from treating depression - to strengthening bones - to reducing falls in old people - to improving muscles - to reducing all cause mortality.

If it did even a quarter of the things people claim it did - even a quarter as well as people claim it does them - it would be a wonder drug.

Alas it generally seem to do nothing at all - with the usual caveat for all supplements of when a doctor specifically describes it for a specific issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

If you eat a balanced diet you shouldn't really need any supplements imo.
    Of course if you are pregnant or extremely athletic you may require supplements, but that's because the body is under a form of stress.

Well said.

Advertisement