Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky sports picture

• 03-07-2021 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Just upgraded my tv to a 55” and now sky sports looks awful. At first I thought the the tv was poor but the picture on RTÉ hd is brilliant. I don’t pay extra for sky sports in hd and never noticed how bad the quality is on my previous smaller tv.

Is this normal or is it my sky sports signal maybe?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How does the likes of BBC1 HD look on it? Non HD will look very poor on a TV that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

BBC 1 hd looks great. So it’s normal for non hd to look crap on a larger tv. I just presumed it would look the same but bigger. Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Are you using sky sports go? Or now tv?

That’s not in HD

HD is HD - doesn’t matter the size of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Sky Sports HD is about €5 extra a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I reckon its a deliberate ploy They make sd extra cr@p to get you to fork out for HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Sky Sports HD is about €5 extra a month.

Is that all? I thought it was something like 20 euro a month. If it’s a fiver, I’ll have to fork out. In 2021 I don’t get why it’s not part of the sky sports package to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Is that all? I thought it was something like 20 euro a month. If it’s a fiver, I’ll have to fork out. In 2021 I don’t get why it’s not part of the sky sports package to be honest.

All them fivers add up my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Because they can ..... and people pay them so they continue to do the rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭swoofer

Your TV is more than likely 4k so its resolution is 3840 x 2160 and the TV will upscale the input to fit the screen, sky sd has degraded over the years and its even worse on a sky q box. If your box is set to automatic then the TV will upscale to correct resolution but if your box is set to 1080i or 720p etc then box will upscale and then the TV, not a good idea. Have box set at automatic but even then SD will look poor. In the end you will pay for the HD and thats the object. Its 8 euro a month now but if you want ULTRA HD its 12 a month. Sky are not stupid....

And the bigger the screen the more obvious the poor quality is. I am awaiting a 4k 55 and very apprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

If you don't have HD, picture quality wise you're actually much better off with a big old tube television. Up until about 3 years ago we still had one in one room and the picture quality watching a match on sky sports was so much better. It's just not practical as they have no HD option or HDMI slots and are big and awkward.

I think it's utterly ridiculous paying over €100 a month for sky and having to put up with poor picture quality. HD should come as standard, but as long as enough people pay for it that won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭swoofer

and bear in mind HD is 8 euro and... now ULTRA HD is 12 euro. Clever stuff by sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Just upgraded my tv to a 55” and now sky sports looks awful. At first I thought the the tv was poor but the picture on RTÉ hd is brilliant. I don’t pay extra for sky sports in hd and never noticed how bad the quality is on my previous smaller tv.

Is this normal or is it my sky sports signal maybe?

Cheers[/QUOTE
    I am assuming you're using a SkyBox.There is something you can do to prove the picture quality. You will need to do a few things, first, you will need to find it in the tv setup menu. The picture mode.I am working on a Samsung tv menu look for the expert settings. In that menu look for sharpness level and push it to the max. Save the setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

If you are watching sport in Standard Digital, I would adjust screen settings to Natural or Standard
    Watching Sport in SD on Dynamic or Vivid is hard in the eyes I find.
    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Are you using sky sports go? Or now tv?

That’s not in HD

HD is HD - doesn’t matter the size of the screen.

Now TV in Ireland is 720p HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

You could also try screen settings recommendations.

I have mine set at Cinema setting

https://success.highfive.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001923611-Recommended-TV-Picture-Settings-all-brands-

Advertisement