Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Jack Russell puppy

Options
  • 03-07-2021 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I recently got a Jack Russell puppy. He’s nearly 3 months old. Like alot of people out there I am half the week remote working & remainder in office. The days I’m not at home my son & 2 daughters are at home with the puppy & we have a 5 year old pug also. Puppy is a handful alright chewing everything in sight taunting our pug & yes hard work which I was expecting. Regarding toilet training I know what to do but how long would it be roughly before he is fully toilet trained? 1 website I looked up said 6 months & another mentioned up to a year. I have lots of questions, is he too young to start lead training also? He has access to fresh water all day. I usually take it away about 2 hours before bedtime to lessen the amount of wees on kitchen floor in morning! Would it be worthwhile buying a good book on Jack Russell’s? Or maybe it’s not necessary as I can get all the good advice here from yourselves? Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

A Jack Russell is very different to a Pug, I'd probably not have chosen this combination as a 5 year old Pug is going to have a lot of trouble keeping up with a JR. He will also need a lot more exercise. Terriers are generally very quick to house train. I'd expect it to be a few weeks/month rather than 6 months. If lots of puddles in the morning, then you are leaving him too long between toilet breaks. So you need to put him to bed later & get up with him rather than leaving him all night. I prefer a puppy pen rather than a crate for that age. Also it will give the Pug a bit of respite.

I would never ever restrict a puppies water. They should have access 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

tamara25 wrote: »
    I recently got a Jack Russell puppy. He’s nearly 3 months old. Like alot of people out there I am half the week remote working & remainder in office. The days I’m not at home my son & 2 daughters are at home with the puppy & we have a 5 year old pug also. Puppy is a handful alright chewing everything in sight taunting our pug & yes hard work which I was expecting. Regarding toilet training I know what to do but how long would it be roughly before he is fully toilet trained? 1 website I looked up said 6 months & another mentioned up to a year. I have lots of questions, is he too young to start lead training also? He has access to fresh water all day. I usually take it away about 2 hours before bedtime to lessen the amount of wees on kitchen floor in morning! Would it be worthwhile buying a good book on Jack Russell’s? Or maybe it’s not necessary as I can get all the good advice here from yourselves? Thank you!!

We have a jack russell pup she's nearly 6 months and housetrained since she was 14 weeks. So took 6 weeks in total.

That was 6 weeks of taking her out nearly every hour and praising when she went and back inside if she didn't go in 10 minutes. We used a crate for sleeping. She has never wet the crate so no messes when we aren't there to supervise.
    Odd accident when she gets over excited but we are working on that.

Honestly the crate training for us was a god send because when the kids are too much or people over she just puts herself to bed in it. It's never locked anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Meant to also say we had Pickle on a lead and harness from the beginning to go out to potty so once fully vaccinated she was used to it for walks.

Also basic commands like sit, stay and recall (which is selective with her) are very important for walks all of which you can teach while on a long line lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Never restrict water from a dog

What method are you using to house train?
    It should take 3/4 weeks .. if you are persistent and follow the same pattern , you need to get up in the middle if the night to let him out, stay outside until he goes then praise him.. for one week get up twice, next week get up once, third week do get up .. during the day he needs to be taken out every few hours, stay outside when he goes - treat and praise

If you have puppy pads - dump them ASAP they don’t work and confuse pup long term

Never too early to lead train even in your home and around your garden ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’ve a pup coming in 2 weeks and we all like our sleep so rather than drag him out of his sleep and wake the house up .. he’ll be crated upstairs with me and if/when he cries I’ll take him out to the loo. From experience I’ve found that they’ll wake up early to wee rather than needing to go out during the night. The advantage here is the fact that the pup will be bursting when you take them out first thing so you’re guaranteed a wee to reinforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I welcomed a little Puppy fairly recently , he was just over 9 weeks. By day 2 I had taught him to sit, I’ve already introduced him to the car by building him up to it and am working on toilet training. I am getting up every 3 hours. I put him in the crate but don’t lock it, so he won’t fear it.

I researched dog trainers before he came and had a remote consult. She advised me on everything in respect of my own situation. She sent fantastic notes and worksheets and it was worth every penny. When he’s settled, I’m going to do another session as I’m aware it all won’t go to plan. I thought wound be better to prep in advance, rather than have to fix my silly mistakes later.

Also, I got a book called Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy which I would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tamara25

Thanks for all the replies. Getting up during the night with puppy isn’t an option for me. I’m a bad sleeper as it is & don’t want to be going to work like a zombie the next day. So I will bring him out as much as I can during the day for wees. It would be great if he was toilet trained by September! I’m sure I/we will get there eventually....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tamara25 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Getting up during the night with puppy isn’t an option for me. I’m a bad sleeper as it is & don’t want to be going to work like a zombie the next day. So I will bring him out as much as I can during the day for wees. It would be great if he was toilet trained by September! I’m sure I/we will get there eventually....

Surely if you're a bad sleeper then taking the pup out isn't a problem? You're awake anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Give the kitchen floor a really deep steam clean. They clean it again.

Dogs have phenomenal scent. They will sniff that they peed there before and go again.

Yes, you have to bring them out every 1-2 hours, get them to pee and reward them.

At night keep water away for at least 3 hours, a quick piddle outside and a training mat at the door and straight out for pee as soon as you wake up.

2-3 weeks and they'll be fully trained and their bladder will hold better too.

Then continue bringing them out every 3 hours for piddle and after a while you'll find that they will hold all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

How do you feel about digging in the garden? We've got two Jack Russel crosses, they're 18 months now. They've done some useful work digging up the remnant stumps of some bushes that had been growing around the perimeter of the garden but cut down before we bought the house. They also dig in lots of other places which is not as useful.

Currently trialling burying some of their doggy dodo in each of the holes they dig when I back fill it, it's looking promising, seems to put them off digging in that spot again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

tk123 wrote: »
    I’ve a pup coming in 2 weeks

Off topic I know but, I’m so excited for you!!!

My adult dog is getting up for a drink in the evenings with the heat.. I would not be withholding water from a pup who could very easily get dehydrated just so I can have an extra hour in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

We put our 14 week old pup out last thing at night and she cries around 6 am to be let out so she is pretty much house trained. We have had 3 accidents in the 2 weeks we’ve had her, just involves putting her out during the day as often as possible and praising everytime she does a wee. Part of having a pup involves losing out on sleep weather you like it or not, same as having a baby

Darc19 wrote: »
    Give the kitchen floor a really deep steam clean. They clean it again.

Dogs have phenomenal scent. They will sniff that they peed there before and go again.

Yes, you have to bring them out every 1-2 hours, get them to pee and reward them.

At night keep water away for at least 3 hours, a quick piddle outside and a training mat at the door and straight out for pee as soon as you wake up.

2-3 weeks and they'll be fully trained and their bladder will hold better too.

Then continue bringing them out every 3 hours for piddle and after a while you'll find that they will hold all night.

Thanks for your reply, it sure is hard work having a puppy but I keep reminding myself that it’s just for a few months. I usually mop the floor to get rid of the smell. Would it be worthwhile investing in a steam cleaner? Some of them seem to be very expensive.....

Finding it very, very hard with our new puppy. Bringing him outside as often as possible but still has lots of accidents inside the house. To be honest if I’d known how hard it was going to be I wouldn’t have got the puppy. Anyhow I’ll keep up the toilet training & persevere....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

What's your house training routine? What methods are you using? Puppy pads? Crate?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its not easy. Im so glad we got our pup at this time of year. So we arent standing outside in the freezing cold waiting for a wee. It makes the christmas pup rush look all the more mental to me.

Crates really help. Our boy loves his.

Maybe post what you’re doing OP and people can advise?

I think it’s normal enough to have a “omg what have we done moment” with a pup lol. Rory (8 weeks) will be here a week tomorrow and we’ve had 2 accidents so far. We’re at the stage now that during the day he’ll get up from sleep/play and head towards the kitchen so we can take him out and he’ll come running to me when he goes like ‘I did it! Where’s my treat’.😆 Other times after meals etc or we’re going for a walk (he’s carried), we’ve been outside and time to go in etc etc I can ask him to go and he will. The hot weather has been a bit of a nightmare as he’s been a bit unsettled at night like us all so I’ve changed things around and added a diy pen to the crate until I can get a proper one - last night was our best so far with him not asking to be taken out until 5:30 🙌🏻🙌🏻 I’d be up around 6ish anyways so 5:30 is great.

Post edited by tk123 on

at what age can you expect a Jack Russell pup to be fully toilet trained? Would it be 6 months or is that wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It all depends on the toilet training routine...

• Advertisement

another question if that’s ok, I need to have my garden secure when my dogs are outside. What is the cheapest fence I can put up? Money is very tight

to be honest if your being 💯 % consistent and following a good toilet training routine I’d say 3/4 weeks max .. so at around 3 months or so for the average pup - all dogs are different though.. it’s all about routine and consistent training with no mixed signals

Fencing - depends on your dogs - do they like to dig and what height can they jump to?

What size is your garden?

is any of it fenced etc?

Advertisement