Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canapes or sharing boards

Options
  • 02-07-2021 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what do yo guys think is the better option sharing platters or Canapes to have woth arrival drinks at the hotel, not as a substitute for the main meal

For a wedding next summer is there much difference to guests ?

I personally prefer Canapes even if they cost about 10 euro extra a head ,

What do you guys think ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think it just comes down to personal preference and it depends what the actual food is.

Personally I don't like anything too unidentifiable :P I hate trying to figure out if something is pureed fish, vegetable mousse, spicy cream etc. Fancy food can be confusing food. And confusing food can be unpleasant when your brain expects one flavour, but your taste buds get another!

Our venue is doing canapes, but due to the current climate, they'll be served individually plated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Sharing boards are good for small casual groups I think
    For larger groups, or more formal weddings they can be a little messy.

You'll need to ask yourself if it suits the style of your wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I’d also ask yourself if there’s many greedy goats in your guest list! I can picture a few older male relatives of mine claiming a sharing board (which I had to Google, and I’m not that old!) all for themselves.

Another thing is that some people maul food on a platter - pick it up and have a good look, and put it back down again. And double dipping. Unless your work colleagues are better mannered than mine :)

You might get a few people, depending on how things are by next year, being quite reluctant to eat food from the same serving dish as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

qwerty13 wrote: »
    I’d also ask yourself if there’s many greedy goats in your guest list! I can picture a few older male relatives of mine claiming a sharing board (which I had to Google, and I’m not that old!) all for themselves.

Another thing is that some people maul food on a platter - pick it up and have a good look, and put it back down again. And double dipping. Unless your work colleagues are better mannered than mine :)

You might get a few people, depending on how things are by next year, being quite reluctant to eat food from the same serving dish as others.

That's the main worry really isn't it ,with whole Corna thing platters may be off the table altogether ........see what i did there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

That's the main worry really isn't it ,with whole Corna thing platters may be off the table altogether ........see what i did there :D

That was very funny!

Just another point re the wedding crowd, I was at a cousin’s evening wedding do - they’d got married abroad, but had an evening reception when they came home. Anyway, it was all canapés, and her mother (and mine) kept calling the waiter back for more food. The bride’s sister told me afterwards that the B&G had way underestimated the food requirements, as the older relations wanted lots of everything, instead of perhaps what the younger crowd viewed it as - lovely nibbles, rather than ‘being fed’.

Depends on your crowd, or maybe my relatives are just food hounds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Pre covid had a similar experience - the crowd were hard to please & the 200 that turned up expected a plate - not to forrage and compete with drunk uncles & the hungry long distance travellers for food. It turned out to really not be what the couple had wanted or anticipated & all a bit KFC-esque. Brides mother was outraged & bride was scandalised at the eventual cost as they charged for all the extra ‘helpings’ and additional ‘orders’. Later said it would have been cheaper to order a proper meal for everyone. Its still considered the wedding where no real food was served.

Platered food IMO from work do’s is often quickly appropriated by the fast and greedy and the unappetising remainders left sweating on the table & quickly lose their appeal/charm and heaf.

Covid has changed everything thou - I’d really do a rethink on both tbh. They might not even be legal then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pre covid had a similar experience - the crowd were hard to please & the 200 that turned up expected a plate - not to forrage and compete with drunk uncles & the hungry long distance travellers for food. It turned out to really not be what the couple had wanted or anticipated & all a bit KFC-esque. Brides mother was outraged & bride was scandalised at the eventual cost as they charged for all the extra ‘helpings’ and additional ‘orders’. Later said it would have been cheaper to order a proper meal for everyone. Its still considered the wedding where no real food was served.

Platered food IMO from work do’s is often quickly appropriated by the fast and greedy and the unappetising remainders left sweating on the table & quickly lose their appeal/charm and heaf.

Covid has changed everything thou - I’d really do a rethink on both tbh. They might not even be legal then!!!

Sorry i should have been more clear im talking about on arrival to the hotel,

So Canopes or sharing platters pre the main meal with arrival drinks, not as a substitute for the normal meal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I think this type of food is a waste of money. Better off to put the extra money into a better choice for the meal as in choice of starters or prime meat courses.

Advertisement