Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for buying primary school books

Options
  • 01-07-2021 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Our eldest will be starting Junior Infants in Sept, so we're starting our first foray into this world of school books!

From a very quick bit of research online (so far), it seems to be fairly 'closed shop', with plenty of different retailers, but very similar or exact pricing.

Any tips to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

tobdom wrote: »
    Our eldest will be starting Junior Infants in Sept, so we're starting our first foray into this world of school books!

From a very quick bit of research online (so far), it seems to be fairly 'closed shop', with plenty of different retailers, but very similar or exact pricing.

Any tips to share?

I don’t think there’s much difference price wise. At that level they’re all work books, so second hand not an option.
    If you’re buying early online, some retailers offer a discount early on. Some places will cover them for you, but there’s not much need with workbooks.
    I’d be inclined to buy from local retailers, just because that’s what I like to do, but that being said, it’s probably one of the sectors least affected by the going’s on of the last year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not really.
    I am giving the business to my local bookshop in these years,while the list is relatively short and inexpensive.I used to work in a bookshop whose primary business was selling school books over the summer, so I know what those bills can grow to and I am sure there are plenty of years ahead where I will be bargain hunting.I want to spend the money locally while I can.Also, most, if not all the books are workbooks at this end of school so not reusable.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm so glad our school has a book rental scheme. We hand €40 to the school in August and get a bag of everything they need handed back.

The school should give you a list of what you need, and lots of bookshops run a service where you give them the list and they put together all the right ones you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

thats what I want to do. Hand them the list and get them to put it together. I have no idea what Im looking at!

We will have boys starting JI in subsequent years so hopefully can save a bit that way with the ones that arent workbooks at least.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's all workbooks in JI and SI - and some in First and Second as well - Maths for sure, but also English and Irish workbooks. SESE as far as I can recall, is a book that they can reuse for other years.

Unless different schools can choose their own books?

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    It's all workbooks in JI and SI - and some in First and Second as well - Maths for sure, but also English and Irish workbooks. SESE as far as I can recall, is a book that they can reuse for other years.

Unless different schools can choose their own books?

Mine have both had all workbooks in JI and SI, then after first class it’s some workbooks and everything else is rental. I had to buy a few last year (third class) which I think he’ll have until sixth- grammar books, atlas, dictionaries etc.

fits wrote: »
    thats what I want to do. Hand them the list and get them to put it together. I have no idea what Im looking at!

We will have boys starting JI in subsequent years so hopefully can save a bit that way with the ones that arent workbooks at least.

Any bookshop will just get it all together for you I think. Smaller bookshops get everything together, but even easons etc does it here- though that could vary from shop to shop I suppose. JI books aren’t expensive either, in the scheme of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

tobdom wrote: »

Any tips to share?

our school uses baggedbooks - €64 for senior infants and come covered, so not too onerous IMO.

Advertisement