Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Silage Costs?

• 01-07-2021 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ JohnChadwick

How much should raking in silage be? Per acre or per bale?

How much should drawing in (1 tractor and Keltec bale lifter) be? Per bale presumably.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭ roosterman71

Raking probably €11/12 an acre. Be only per bale if part of an overall package where you are mowing/raking and baling.

Drawing in with a Keltec would probably be per hour. I'd guess around €50/hour

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ Injuryprone

Raking is 10/ac around here anyway.

Drawing in should be by the hour you'd think, as it would be dependent on length of draw, yard access etc

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ JohnChadwick

Grand - charged 10/acre for raking alright.

Drawing in was 600 and took about 8 hours. That's €75/hour so a bit too much?

Really not a fan of contractors using hourly costs anyway. For example had dung spreading done and the contractor added on 1 full hour on the invoice, which included loader and spreader so nearly an extra 100 quid there for nothing. Happened to be working at home that day so I know exactly how long they were there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ Omallep2

Really not a fan of contractors using hourly costs anyway. For example had dung spreading done and the contractor added on 1 full hour on the invoice, which included loader and spreader so nearly an extra 100 quid there for nothing. Happened to be working at home that day so I know exactly how long they were there for.

Travel time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭ roosterman71

€75 sound strong for that. How many bales were moved in 8 hours? Was it just to move them from field to the yard or did it involve stacking as well? Or how many men and tractors were on the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ JohnChadwick

Omallep2 wrote: »
    Travel time?

Do they charge travel time, they were travelling from 10 minutes away. Or is it time in the gate and out the gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭ 50HX

60p/hr here for drawing with an 8 pack

Paying 7 to bale, that includes raking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ Castlekeeper

50HX wrote: »
    60p/hr here for drawing with an 8 pack

Paying 7 to bale, that includes raking

8 to bale and wrap here
    10/ acre to rake
    50 an hour to draw with trailer and loader
    20-25/ acre to mow depending on crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭ mahoney_j

10! Per acre to rake
    55 per hour with 10 bale Wilson bale chaser .gave a few years drawing my own bales 55 an hour serious value considering the output

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭ cute geoge

45/50 a hour to draw with 14 bale trailer ,it takes about 50/55 minuted to draw and stack 14 bales from 1 1/2 miles away it works out at E3/bale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭ 50HX

cute geoge wrote: »
    45/50 a hour to draw with 14 bale trailer ,it takes about 50/55 minuted to draw and stack 14 bales from 1 1/2 miles away it works out at E3/bale

Can you get anyone with an 8 or 10 pack kelvin, you'd have your 3 euro per bale if you could stack yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭ lakill Farm

mahoney_j wrote: »
    10! Per acre to rake
    55 per hour with 10 bale Wilson bale chaser .gave a few years drawing my own bales 55 an hour serious value considering the output

Who stacks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ French Toast

Cut €3
    Bale €5
    Wrap €2.50

Ends up at €10.50/bale including VAT.

Advertisement