Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon heritage sites set to transfer ownership to councils

Options
  • 30-06-2021 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0629/1232058-limerick-cultural/

"The Shannon Heritage County Clare based visitor attractions to transfer to Clare County Council are:

Bunratty Castle and Folk Park; Knappogue Castle, Craggaunowen Bronze Age Park, and the Cliffs of Moher retail outlet.

In tandem with this, a Heads of Agreement will provide for the transfer of King John's Castle to Limerick City and County Council.

Shannon Group will shortly engage with interested parties concerning the future operation of Dunguaire Castle in Co Galway.

Shannon Heritage currently manages a number of day visitor attractions in Dublin on behalf of Fingal County Council and An Post."

So are the rate payers in these counties getting stuffed with these white elephants?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Wonder will they do something about the Cliffs of Moher car park, which to my knowledge is the only car park in Ireland that charges per occupant in the car. That seriously stuck in my craw when I visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What do you suggest be done with them op?
    Level them and make industrial units and offices out of them?
    Are national museums and libraries "burdens" upon us too?

It's It's no brainer

Councils roles are evolving to less engineering/infrastructure to more tourism and economic development.
    Might as well own the assets they're trying to attract tourism to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yurt! wrote: »
    Wonder will they do something about the Cliffs of Moher car park, which to my knowledge is the only car park in Ireland that charges per occupant in the car. That seriously stuck in my craw when I visited.

Clare Co. Co. already control and manage the cliffs' carpark (and the entire visitors centre). It's just a single retail outlet there that Shannon Heritage had.

In fairness, the "car park charge" is admission to the entire site. Like, Tayto Park don't charge you for driving into the carpark, but each individual in the car gets charged then walking in the gates. At the cliffs, they're just taking that admission charge from you when you're still in the car. They did this because people were parking there for free, walking up the road and then hopping a wall and getting access to the whole site without paying. You can still walk in for free using the cliff walks from both Liscannor or Doolin - in fact you get a better view of the cliffs themselves this way.

And as it's the second most popular tourist destination in the county, they're not going to do anything about it.

Back on topic, as a "rate payer" (well, LPT payer) in Clare, I think this is a good move. I wouldn't like to see Bunratty, Knappogue and Craggaunowen falling into private hands, and they need to be divested from the airport.

Advertisement