Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop recomendation.

• 29-06-2021 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a laptop for photo storage and editing? i'm currently using a Lenovo ideapad 110, i find it frustratingly slow uploading from card and also when using canon DPP editing suite. I'm dreading going into the likes of Currys or Harveys and being bombarded with techy details i don't understand, so if someone could recommend something in the E1000 bracket i'd be very grateful.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

glaswegian wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a laptop for photo storage and editing? i'm currently using a Lenovo ideapad 110, i find it frustratingly slow uploading from card and also when using canon DPP editing suite. I'm dreading going into the likes of Currys or Harveys and being bombarded with techy details i don't understand, so if someone could recommend something in the E1000 bracket i'd be very grateful.
    Thanks.

Dell xps. Accurate screen and very portable. Smallish disk drives but you can upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

athlone573 wrote: »
    Dell xps. Accurate screen and very portable. Smallish disk drives but you can upgrade.
    Thanks athlone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

Dell Xps rise in price fairly quickly to 1500+ with any kind of spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

What are the actual machine specs ? 110 seems to be a fairly long lived Lenovo product line, ranging from 2GB celerons up to reasonably modern i3s and i5s. It might be just a case of upping the memory to something decent and replacing a HDD with an SSD to get something performant.

vandriver wrote: »
    Dell Xps rise in price fairly quickly to 1500+ with any kind of spec.

Yeah they do but they sometimes appear on the refurb store with a good discount, and the RAM and SSD are relatively easy to upgrade down the line if you start using Photoshop etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

The Huawei Matebook 14 2020 is also a good pick.

You get a 3:2 2k screen, and a Ryzen 4600 6 core or 4800 8 core cpu which are very capable for Photoshop.

I got the 4800 version with ssd for under 1000 euro

Thanks all for your replies, I went into Harvey Norman today and the salesman recommended this,
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-eh0041na-15.6-amd-ryzen-5-16gb-512gb-warm-gold.html, are the specs any good?

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Personally I'd like a brighter screen. 250 nits is mediocre for the price.
    Thanks Flinty but i haven't a clue what a nit is apart from the nits i had in my hair when i was at school.:D

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Just a brighter screen. Maybe you don't care.
    Maybe you need a wee lie down.

For photo processing, display contrast and colour accuracy is as important as brightness, if not more so. It can be difficult to find reviews covering this information but if you do, look for a low "Delta E" value. You mightnt notice what the screen is like under showroom conditions but if it is washed out, it'll annoy you every time you use it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement