Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage floor paint

Options
  • 28-06-2021 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Not sure where this was best suited but figured other motors heads might be best to ask,
    I'm wondering is there a specific brand /type or place to buy garage floor paint.

I know 2 pack epoxy seems to be the go to, but I was reccomended a non epoxy based floor paint by one place I rang, who said it was just as good that 2 packs are "old style" now

Should I be looking at solvent or water based? Can anyone reccomend what they have used themselves that's hard-wearing and no issues? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭blackbox

I used Douglas concrete and floor paint (white). Three coats I think.

Gives a nice finish but it is fairly easily scraped. On the other hand it is easy to touch up.

Concrete was pretty smooth to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The factory I worked in used Crown Epimac floor paint. Solvent based, so smelly and long drying. Also expensive. Not really very well wear resistant either IMO.

Found out (surprisingly) Lidl had excellent concrete floor paint on offer - water based, no smell, drying very quickly, far better wear resistance than above, significantly cheaper too. Regrettably, they don't have it everyday, so if you're in a hurry, you won't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Screwfix have a cheap and cheerfull concrete floor paint that seems to get good reviews but I'm a bit wary of if it will take much traffic.

Any suppliers I've contacted all reccomend solvent 2 pack epoxy, the only difference is some are saying primer is needed and some say its not (there's a skim of self leveling over the top)

I'd prefare waterbased though, due to the smell and it being attached to the house I know its gonna stink the place out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭corks finest

5500 wrote: »
    Not sure where this was best suited but figured other motors heads might be best to ask,
    I'm wondering is there a specific brand /type or place to buy garage floor paint.

I know 2 pack epoxy seems to be the go to, but I was reccomended a non epoxy based floor paint by one place I rang, who said it was just as good that 2 packs are "old style" now

Should I be looking at solvent or water based? Can anyone reccomend what they have used themselves that's hard-wearing and no issues? Thanks in advance

No water based floor paint will last

Advertisement