Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling Firearm Privately

• 28-06-2021 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Does anyone know the regulations regarding selling a firearm privately? Can I keep my rifle on my possession until the new owner has his licence approved? Is there any paperwork to fill out on my behalf?

I sold a shotgun privately a few year back and had no hassle doing it as per above, not sure if it has changed since then. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You cannot give your firearm to the buyer until they have a licence for the firearm you are selling them. And don't take their word that they have been given a licence for it. Make sure and see the licence before you hand over the gun.

Your choice is to either hold onto the gun until they show you their licence for it or leave it into a dealer to hold until the buyer shows them their licence for it. The dealer will probably charge you for that facility though.

There have been no changes in the last few years.

Here's the normal process. You agree the sale. Sort out the financial arrangements with the buyer. Write a letter to the buyer with your licence details and the gun details on it stating that you are selling the gun to that person and then they send in that letter with their application. Buyer hopefully gets a licence and shows you licence. Then you (or the dealer) hands over the firearm to the new owner and that's the end of that.

It's pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Firstly how long have you got left on your licence- if your licence runs out you must either reapply for it or hand it into a registered firearm dealer.

For a private sale - the prospective buyer fills out a FAC 1 as per the instructions. You'll need to furnish the buyer with the following information for -
    SECTION 3 - FIREARM DETAILS

3.1 - Firearm Details
    Serial No ( M )
    Make ( M )
    Model (M)
    Calibre ( M )
    Type : (M)
    Sub-Type

3.3 - Source of Firearm

In Section 3.3 part B - Source of Firearm, the applicant will need this information from you-

(B) Acquired from Private Source (c) F
    Firearm’s Previous Cert’ No. (c)
    Private Source’s ; (your details)
    Surname (c) (your details)
    First Name (c) (your details)
    Contact Phone No.s: (your details)
    Private Source’s Address (c) (your details)

When the applicant is granted and issued the firearms licence you must fill out a FCA2-
    Firearms Ammendment / Cancellation Form

Fill in section 2. Cancellation of Firearm Certificate

Fill in the section - Reason for Cancellation of the Firearm Certificate: (Tick appropriate boxes) Sold To New Holder:
    Write in new owners details as per info on their licence.
    Send that into your local Garda Station.

The forms are on Garda.ie.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/online-services/firearms-licensing/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

Always get the full price for your firearm first, don't fall for the 'I have to get the license first'.
    They pay in full for the firearm, apply for a license, when they have the license they get the firearm.
    If they don't get a license then it's up to them to sell it on. Your not out of pocket.

Advertisement